VMware Communities
holmesII
Contributor
Contributor

security about VMWARE workstation

Hi,I have a question about the vmware. When I create a vmware(VMFS)on a partition (assume partition D,and the size is 5GB). when I allocate all size when I create the image, will the WMWARE erase the data on partition D?(assume there are some files in partition D and partition D was just been quick formatted, the data can be recoveried by recovery tools).

I got some idea about the question above, it seems that when vmware creates the VMFS, it will erase all data in it. But I have another question.

assume when I create the VMFS, I don't allocate all the size at the begining, I just let the VMFS growing when the virtual machine need more space. In this case, will the data in Partition D been erased? many thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

Can you please clarify one thing? When you say VMFS, do you mean a virtual disk file? (file extension *.vmdk)

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Workstation does not use VMFS at all - it uses the filesystem that your host uses..

VMFS is a proprietory filesystem that is only used by ESXi.

Workstation  uses NTFS on Windows hosts.
Then the virtual disk is a large file - read more about virtual disks in my vmdk-handbook http://sanbarrow.com/vmdk-handbook.html

0 Kudos