VMware Communities
chunchengch
Contributor
Contributor

samba problem

I install vmware tools but can not connect to the shared folders, so I try samba for alternative solution.

I install samba in the host Ubuntu from Ubuntu repository, then I follow the "Workstation User's Manual" to add " the configuration file smb.conf in /etc/samba, and some other settings as follows:

workgroup = ASUSNB

server string = This is ASUSNB samba server

netbios name = ubuntu

unix charset = utf8

display charset = utf8

dos charset = cp950

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

max log size = 1000

security = share

interfaces = eth0 vmnet1

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

dns proxy = no

comment = Home Directories

path = /home

writable = yes

public = yes

I run commands "testparm" and "smbclient -L //127.0.0.1" in the host Ubuntu, everything is fine, but I can not connect to the host Ubuntu from guest Fedora, so what can I do to make the connection work? thanks for help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you sure you've setup the samba passwords? What error do you get when you try and connect from the other machine

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

I run commands "testparm" and "smbclient -L //127.0.0.1" in the host Ubuntu, everything is fine, but I can not connect to the host Ubuntu from guest Fedora, so what can I do to make the connection work? thanks for help!

You try to connect from Linux to Linux via samba? If there's no Windows involved, use NFS. You have to add your share/export to the file "/etc/exports" on the system you want to access and publish it by using the command "exportfs". On the other system use "mount -t nfs "

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos