VMware Communities
andysusanto
Contributor
Contributor

running vmware from another comptuter

hai,

Can i running a vmware workstation from another computer.

example :

BOX A and B installed a VMWareworkstation. After that box B try to run a vm that exist at Box A, using a command line such :

vmrun -T ws -h <ip_box_a> -u <user_name> -p <password> start "G:\PIS\PIS-Load Runner-INT\Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition.vmx"

is that possible ?

note using a vmware 6.5.1

Regards,

Andy Susanto

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--You should be able to do that just fine with standard Windows file-sharing, as long as file permissions are set right. However, be careful - that's unstable, and you could lose data if you lose network connection.

--Best practice is to run the VM on the host machine directly, and remote-in to it with MSTSC / VNC /$REMOTE-SOFTWARE. Alternatively I would copy/Clone the VM to Box B ( disk space is cheap these days. )

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos
CedricJiang
Contributor
Contributor

Why not try VMware Server?

0 Kudos
andysusanto
Contributor
Contributor

I can not using VMWare Server because VMWare Server does not have a snapshoot Manager.

and it will replace the old snapshoot

Regards,

Andy Susanto

0 Kudos
andysusanto
Contributor
Contributor

you mean that i create a map network drive ?

i would like clear my question. What i need is i would like to run a Vmware in Box A, but i send a command from Box B

i like to doit that, because i would like to manage that from one Box

Regards,

Andy Susanto

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can try using OpenSSH for windows. Configure host key based auto-login SSH on both your workstation boxes and run your commands to and from your boxes.

0 Kudos
andysusanto
Contributor
Contributor

can you give an enlighment about that ?

both of my box should i installed that OpenSSH ? after that is there any configuration and what command that should i type?

Regards,

Andy Susanto

0 Kudos
puzzledtux
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, you basically have to setup OpenSSH on both your machines. Then you need to setup the SSH public key authentication between them so that you can login into them without an interactive password. This part is optional if you have time to punch the password every time you want to execute the command on the remote machine. The steps to configure this is here. It only looks a bit complex but certainly simple, easy and worth a try for your scenario.

Once your SSH server is up and running, you can type something like below-

ssh username@hostA dir -

This will give you a directory listing on the remote machine.

BTW ssh uses port 22 by default, just for your firewall purpose.

PS: If security is not a concern in your case, you may want to look at enabling the telnet server for your case.

Message was edited by: puzzledtux

CedricJiang
Contributor
Contributor

The same reason why I don't use VMware Server. It can only save one snapshot.

0 Kudos
andysusanto
Contributor
Contributor

hai,

yes this need for the internet so there is not issued for security. So i am using a telnet.

btw using telnet vm workstation can not be running. The result it create only one folder .lck

btw when i run from command line, it's create only one folder .lck, normaly when run from workstation application it create more then one .lck

but when using ssh with your suggestion yes it can be running.

Regards,

Andy Susanto

0 Kudos