VMware Communities
xchangepatewon
Contributor
Contributor

restoring physical server to virtual server

im trying to setup a test network for work with our servers and am working on the first Domain controller which is a win 2k3 sp2. we uses acronis to do our bare metal backups. i have converted the image file to a virtual pc, but it wont boot, it just blue screens and reboot. so i took a clean virtual install of win2k3 and restored the system state that i made using ntbackup a few days ago, now when it tries to boot up it blue screens. here is the output of the blue screen: when i try booting in safe mode it seems to get stuck on acpitabl.dat and then blue scrrens

http://tinypic.com/r/fbylpc/6

has anyone else run into this and how should i go about resolving this? i have tried using a different acronis image and converting but it still bsod othwerwise i would use that image and then boot into directory restore mode and restore my d.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
xchangepatewon
Contributor
Contributor

not sure if you need to know this or not but the physical server is running RAID 5 with a addon hard disk controller card (HP Smart Array P400i Controller).

0 Kudos
xchangepatewon
Contributor
Contributor

bump...

anyone got any suggestions? things i should check/look for within vmware workstation? i am using ver. 6

is there a proper procedure for taking a physical servers system state and restoring it to a virtual server?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you get a 7b BSOD - you may be able to fix it with patching it again.

Try Converter "configure machine" option.

Also for DCs you should use Coldclone procedure - not hotclone.

For 2003 machines best Converter is 3.0.3 - not 4.0.1

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
xchangepatewon
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for the response.

i will look at converting it again to see if that resolves it. not sure what you mean by coldclone vs hot clone. basically these image backups are created by our acronis software and are schedule to run on a specific day then stored on our network. when i tried converting one of the saved image files i took one of my saved backups. if im mis understanding please let me know.

i will download the VM Converter 3.0.3 tonight.

0 Kudos
thefurbs
Contributor
Contributor

So, I'm sure this post is far to old and I should just make my own thread, but I am having the same issue (BSOD 7B). Did this ever get resolved?

I also have a RAID 5 HD on the physical machine, however I took my images just using MS Backup without the current hibernation state or whatever it is called. My restore says it was completed successfully.  My only complication is that there are two separate HDs it is restoring. It doesnt seem to matter which letters I set or which one I set active when I do the restore. Whenever it finishes, the Recovery partition gets set to C while my two HDs are set to D and E. Not sure if that matters at all, but I tried to change the letters before the restore, but they were reset after restored.

I have also followed the Hive/UnHive instructions posted here:

Re: Restoring a Windows 7 image backup? (VM blue screens)

But I'm not sure what the registry keys were supposed to do (I had a few different).

Please advise.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Can I assume that you know how to load the SYSTEM hive - like in the thread you mentioned ?
Then do that again - but do not enable the services mentioned  in that post but just the one named LSI_SAS in HKLM\p2v\Controlset001\Services\
Also make sure your VM uses the LSI-SAS scsi-controller.
If you use something else it gets more tricky.

And no - BSOD 7b is here to stay - but it has never been easier to avoid that by simply setting one driver to start=0
VMware Converter does change more driver-settings - but that is not really necessary to survive first boot of a Windows 7 VM using LSI-SAS after a P2V.
About driveletters .... if you use a LiveCD for this - never use an existing VM !!! - it is not necessary to care for driveletters.
Also dont touch driveletters before you create your image.
Do not use an image that has been created after a suspend-to-disk -- always power off cleanly before creating the image.
If you think your imagingtools is guilty - use any current LinuxliveCD.
The dd-command creates images that you can either restore into a VM -  but  also even use as  VMs as they are.
Acronis- / Ghost /../  -images are smaller but they have to be converted/imported - which is not necessary with dd-images.

0 Kudos