VMware Communities
PedroJesusVR
Contributor
Contributor

restore vmware workstation virtual machine after host format.

I have a Windows 11 host, with vmware workstation 16 and one virtual machine with windows 11 as guest. I have this virtual machine with activation key and some programs.

I wish to format the host computer and reinstall vmworkstation with all my virtual machines (like that one with windows 11 activated as guest) but i'm not sure if after format the host and reinstall vmworkstation, i will lost the activation of this windows 11 guest.

Can anybody please help me to do this to be sure i don't lose the right to use this virtual machine activated?

Another thing i wish to know is if i can format the host with Linux and install vmware workstation for Linux and use this virtual machine?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The VM should work on any version of workstation. It will even work on the MAC version of workstation. (fusion). 

Backup the VM's folders and files to off line storage to be safe. When you start it up, if it asks whether you moved it or copied it, click on I moved it (not copy). This preserves the network mac address.

0 Kudos