VMware Communities
palmer_md
Contributor
Contributor

recent files in Recycle Bin

I recently installed VMware Workstation, and it has an odd behaviour.  Every time I open start the VM all my most recently used files are in the recycle bin.  I have to open it and restore them.  If I do any new work then that/those files also end up in the recycle bin the next time I start.  If I don't open or create any new files then the next time I just see the same files that need to be restored.  It is getting annoying to restore the ever growing list of files that are in my recycle bin.

I fear that one day I'll accidently delete these files from the recycle bin, and they are all good files that I want to keep.

I tried searching for "recent files recycle bin" but nothing turns up.  Has this been an issue in the past?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@palmer_md 

Is all that behaviour you describe in the guest OS of your VM? If so, I’m not sure what Workstation has to do with that behaviour.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
palmer_md
Contributor
Contributor

The error is only in the VM.  The guest is not having any issues.

I'm not sure it is VMworkstation either, but I cant find any similar issues on the Microsoft website either.  The guest and the VM are both running Windows 10 pro.

It is just really weird.  Every file that I edit or create on the VM ends up in the recycle bin the next time the VM is started.  I restore the files and they all go back to the original storage locations (which are in different locations depending on the file (word, excel, pdf....)  The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with recent files, but really that is just pure speculation as I have no idea what is going on.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@palmer_md 

A Microsoft user community would probably be a better place to ask than a VMware one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos