VMware Communities
OttoSykora
Contributor
Contributor

read FAQ, but increasing disk fails

I wanted slightly increase disk of my VM.

Ok , read the FAQ, followed the instruction there, found the vmware-vdisjmanager and tried to enter the correct in command line. No result so far, since either the manager does not find the file or it claims that some parameters are missing.

There are number of files in the folder with the extension vmdk. Ok deleted all snapshots first, but still some files remain. One is the big one, abt 1GB so tried to take it. The manager tells me canot find the file. Inserted the filename in quotes, it tells me the same. Took other of the files, manger tells me parametrs missing.

I entered while in the folder of the vmware:

vmware-vdiskmanager -x 1.8Gb d:\vmware\w98secz\"Windows 98-flat.vmdk"

since this is the file of abt 1Gb containing probably the C drive of my VM.

Other files with the same extension are just some Kb long.

Sorry but followed the FAQ, but did not get the idea out of it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Never address the binary disk file with any VMware product... ALWAYS address the disk descriptor file. You must choose the "Windows 98.vmdk" 1 kb file.

Note: If you're on a Windows host, you may wish to use my GUI wrapper for the DiskManager utility - will avoid syntax errors. See my profile for website.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

One thing is to extend the size of virtual disk, another thing is to resize a filesystem (partition) on it.

I hope that you are aware of this.

0 Kudos
OttoSykora
Contributor
Contributor

Aha, one can learn all the time!

thats why it did not work.

will check the GUI thing anyway for the next time.

By now I had big struggle with this VM, but managed to produce bigger clone, used acronis to feed the c drive into it , make it then all active and managed finaly to boot from it. Was nice few hours experimenting, happay the thing works perfect, the drive double in size (yes partition too!) and thus all works much faster now since space for swap was probably tight before.

I will sleep today more happy sure!

Thanks

0 Kudos