VMware Communities
CSing
Contributor
Contributor

rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU

Hi all,

i have some issues with my Linux VMs, since some days they freeze every 10-20 minutes.

I'm running the latest Workstation 16 Pro (16.2.4 build-20089737).

Local VMs:
1. Debian Linux (Linux <hostname> 5.10.0-18-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.140-1 (2022-09-02) x86_64 GNU/Linux) (Number of processors 2, cores 1, Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT disabled, Virtualize CPU performance disabled, Virtualize IOMMU disabled)

2. Manjaro Linux (Linux <hostname> 5.15.65-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 5 10:15:47 UTC 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux) (Number of processors 2, cores 2, Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT disabled, Virtualize CPU performance disabled, Virtualize IOMMU disabled)

3. Kali Linux (Linux <hostname> 5.19.0-kali2-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 5.19.11-1kali2 (2022-10-10) x86_64 GNU/Linux) (Number of processors 2, cores 4, Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT not available, Virtualize CPU performance not available, Virtualize IOMMU not available)

Only my Debian and Manjaro VM had serious issues and freezes all the time (please see the attached screenshot). I've already upgraded the debian kernel, futhermore i've upgraded from Debian 10 to Debian 11, without any luck. I've also tested different VMWare-Settings (Hardware Compatibility, CPUs, Cores, vmware-tools, open-vm-tools, etc.).

If the error occures, the Debian- and/or Manjaro-VM simply freezes , my Kali-Linux is working fine and never crashed.

I checked the vmware-logs afterwards, but without any hint - just telling me that the heartbeat isn't working anymore.

"dmesg" shows some issues regarding the rcu_sched, i've attached a screenshot.

I would be really happy for any hints or further troubleshooting.

5 Replies
harridu
Contributor
Contributor

metoo. The guest running Debian 10 dies after a couple of minutes. There is a kernel dump message with "rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU" and some others, next the load goes up and Linux becomes unresponsive.

VMware Workstation is version 15.5.6 build-16341506, running on Windows 10. open-vm-tools is version 12.1.0.

0 Kudos
cip_vs
Contributor
Contributor

Same for me...

Debian.

Its been working good for a few years but now...

0 Kudos
anisbet
Contributor
Contributor

Me too with Ubuntu 22.04.1 on 

VMWorkstation Pro 17.0.1 build-21139696

Does VMWare have any insight?

0 Kudos
Dattu
Contributor
Contributor

Do we have any solution for this issue mentioned ?
I am seeing this very frequently and the VM freezes and have to force reboot each time

0 Kudos
Dattu
Contributor
Contributor

There is a recent issue posted by suse (https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000020826)

They have mentioned to update the kernel. However the problem still persists after upgrading the kernel as well

0 Kudos