Enthusiast

"vmware tools" for Windows Vista

add vmware tools for windows vista in vmware workstation 16

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please refer to this response from when you asked previously in the Tech Preview area - the KB article in that response included a link to this VMware Tools packages downloads area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can say it a dozen more times but don't be shocked if it doesn't happen for the reasons mentioned in your previous Tech Preview thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Lev115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

why can't I leave the old ones for vista and the new ones for windows 7?

0 Kudos
Lev115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

why can't windows vista keep version 11.0.6, as in windows XP?

0 Kudos
UserC1
Contributor
Contributor

P.s. Hardware compatibility needs to be changed to VMWare Workstation 15.x, otherwise it will be stuck.

0 Kudos
Lev115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

why can't I keep the old version of vmware tools for windows vista and the new version for windows 7?

0 Kudos
Lev115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is it possible to install version 11.0.6 only for vista?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How is your latest question different from your previous questions in this thread?

You can install whatever version of VMware Tools into your VM that the guest OS needs, regardless of whether the hypervisor product includes that version or not.

0 Kudos
Lev115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is it possible to add 11.0.6 for vista to the vmware workstation distribution

?

so as not to download separately

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As that's the same question you've asked before I guess any answer would be the same too - exactly as I posted today:

"You can install whatever version of VMware Tools into your VM that the guest OS needs, regardless of whether the hypervisor product includes that version or not."

I don't believe it makes sense for the distribution of the hypervisor product to include all the old versions of VMware Tools given that they can be downloaded separately as needed - it saves everyone having to download versions in the hypervisor distribution that they may never use.

0 Kudos