VMware Communities
Armadillo201110
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"incorrect vmx86.sys" problem with Workstation 8 on Windows 7 x64

I've just upgraded to Workstation 8 (Windows 7 x64) and am getting the following error when I try to create VMs:

"Could not get vmx86 driver version: The handle is invalid. You have an incorrect version of driver "vmx86.sys". Try reinstalling VMware Workstation. Failed to initialize monitor device."

If I do, "Run As Administrator" I can get it to work.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

VMPlayer doesn't seem to work either - even with "Run As Administrator". It just hangs.

I've also noticed that I can't edit the priority settings in the preferences - unless I do "Run As Administrator". I'm logged in as an administrator account.

So, there seems to be some generally permissions issue - although that still doesn't seem to fix Player.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Luca93z
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for the kind words man Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
takman236
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Luca93z wrote:

I bet your firewall is Comodo.

I had the same warning! Follow the steps and you'll enjoy Workstation without Administrator's privileges:

1) Open Comodo

2) Go on Defense +'s Tab

3) Defense+ Settings

4) Execution Settings

5) on Exceptions add C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware-vmx.exe if u are using 32bit OS, else C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe!

Confirm pushing OK!

and enjoy your Workstation 8!

Sorry for my bad english.

See ya!

Perfect!

This Just work for me.

i add the vmware folder (with all subdirectories) to Defense + exception.

and vmware start perfect:-DSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
boettj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I use bitdefender, and went in and provided promission for VMware 8, but I am still not able to run VMware Player without running it as an administrator.  To me, running it as administrator is a bad idea.

Please let me know if anyone else has another solution.

Jason

0 Kudos
Nephilim2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Greetings,

I had the same issue as previous posters, I do run Comodo (firewall only), however the suggested solution was not what I used, instead I added my user account to the group "_vmware_" this solved my issue and I can now launch as a normal user.

Please note that I sumbled upon this error when I updated from VMware Player version 3 to 4. I've just not seen anything with respect to VMware Player 4 and this error yet on the forums. Since the player is usually installed with the Workstation versions also I've assumed the error has similar roots.

0 Kudos
mmpr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Luca93z:

Your solution works perfectly for me as well.

(Though I run Comodo AV which also has the Defense+ thingy instead of running their firewall product)

Thanks a lot!!

0 Kudos