VMware Communities
Scorwin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"VMware Workstation does not support the multiple monitors feature in Other guests"

When I click on the "Cycle multiple monitors" icon, I get the message "VMware Workstation does not support the multiple monitors feature in Other guests".  Google found me no hits on this.  Anyone know what it means or how I might get multiple monitors to work?

The host OS is Windows 7 Professional x64, with service pack 1 applied.  The guest OS is Debian Linux, version 8, also 64-bit. 

$ uname -a

Linux debianvm 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt9-3~deb8u1 (2015-04-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux

The virtual machine was originally created with VirtualBox, then exported to a .ova file, then imported into VMware Workstation.  VMware Workstation is version 11.1.2 build-2780323.

-Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Steve, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

With your VM powered off, go into your VM's settings, and on the Options tab, under General, select the guest operating system type: Linux > Debian 7 64-bit.  Then try powering on your VM and seeing if it works.  (Debian 8 is close enough to Debian 7. Smiley Wink)

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Steve, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

With your VM powered off, go into your VM's settings, and on the Options tab, under General, select the guest operating system type: Linux > Debian 7 64-bit.  Then try powering on your VM and seeing if it works.  (Debian 8 is close enough to Debian 7. Smiley Wink)

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Scorwin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Darius,

and thank you for your quick reply.  I haven't been able to try it because I wasn't able to even log in to Windows, but once that was cleared up I was finally able to try your suggestion and it worked.  After that I got a message that multiple monitors wouldn't work until I installed VMware tools, so I followed the instructions on http://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/Debian_8.html to install open-vm-tools. After rebooting VMware prompted me to install VMware Tools, so I followed the instructions it provided and installed that too.  Then, after rebooting the VM again, the top menu now has a button for "Choose a monitor layout" and choosing a layout causes the VM to use multiple monitors exactly the way I want it to.  Sweet!

Thanks for your help,

Steve

0 Kudos