VMware Communities
PShahood
Contributor
Contributor

"USB Disabled"

I have had no issues running Workstation (6) on my XP system until recently. For some reason, as soon as I start up a VM (Windows XP), WS immediately states that ther is no recognized USB driver, therefore USB has been disabled. It also stated that I should turn of any USB Monitoring software I may have. I have verified that this is NOT a hardware issue and generally, USB devices are working - th only exception is I have trouble with an older HP6300 scanner.

I have no idea what caused this to happen. I have tried to figure out what may be intercepting the USB traffic to no avail. Can anyone suggest how I might go about determining what is causing this issue with VMWare i.e. is there some software available that would tell me what might be intercepting the traffic to USB.

I am obviosuly at a loss on this one. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

0 Kudos
10 Replies
PShahood
Contributor
Contributor

So.... Is this something that NOBODY has encountered? I sure could use some advise on this one!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Does this problem also happen when you have not plugged in the problematic HP scanner?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
PShahood
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it happens when I have NO USB devices, with the exception of the Keyboard and Mouse, plugged in at all!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Paul,

Can you open the folder where the virtual machine is stored and then upload/attach the --

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
PShahood
Contributor
Contributor

I have attached the files requested.

Yes, I have upgraded to 6.5 - but the problem was there before I upgraded.

Paul

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Paul,

When I look at your logfile I do indeed see mention of your problem:

Oct 14 21:19:16.906: vmx| USB: Initializing 'Generic' backend

Oct 14 21:19:16.906: vmx| USBGW: hcmon open failed:31

Oct 14 21:19:16.906: vmx| Msg_Post: Warning

Oct 14 21:19:16.906: vmx| [http://msg.usb.hcmonOpenFailed|http://msg.usb.hcmonOpenFailed] USB controller initialization failed. A supported host USB driver was not found. If you have installed USB traffic monitoring software on the host system, please remove it.

Oct 14 21:19:16.906: vmx| 

Oct 14 21:19:16.906: vmx| Virtual USB controller has been disconnected.

Oct 14 21:19:16.906: vmx| ----------------------------------------

Oct 14 21:19:17.000: vmx| USB: Unable to initialize 'Generic' backend

So as it appears there is a problem with your host USB driver. This could be because of the problematic HP Scanner (which I would personally completely uninstall in order to rule out that it's intervening with your USB functionality)

The vmx file looks mainly OK. the only bit which I find a bit odd is the line:

usb.autoConnect.device0 = ""

It makes little sense to me and I would probably remove it (First close VMware workstation and shutdown the guest or your edits might be undone by vmware workstation)

Another thing to check is if there are problems in your hardware configuration at host level?

In order to check that out right-click "My Computer" select properties, go to the Hardware Tabpage, Select Device Manager. Do you see any exclamation marks down there?

Yet another thing to try is to upgrade your virtual hardware as your VM is still at hardware revision 6. Shutdown your VM for that and rightclick, select "Change Version"

tip: Make a backup of your entire VM folder before you start experimenting like this. It should all be safe to make these changes, but it is good to be on the extra safe side of things.

Let us know how you go.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
PShahood
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wil,

There are no exclaimations in the Host Device manager - all is well.

I'll try your suggestions this evening and let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
PShahood
Contributor
Contributor

My solution was to do a complete reinstall of Windows!! Long overdue, this XP installation has gone through at least 2 motherboard upgrades.

I have installed Windows Vista Ultimate (just to see if it was REALLY as bad as we are led to believe), and everything is working VERY well. I am actually pretty impressed so far.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Paul

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

To get decent performance I would recommend an update to XP !!!

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Paul,

Long overdue, this XP installation has gone through at least 2 motherboard upgrades.

Ah.. that could have been interesting info to know. You might have had some old obsolete SUB hub drivers from another chipset hanging around in there that didn't like sharing with VMware.

FWIW, I have a desktop here that has survived at least 4 Mobo upgrades -OMG I'm loosing count on that one- and it still performs very well. Admittedly the windows NT4/Win95 partitions on it are gone and the red hat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36) partition has gone to bit heaven as well. WinXP otoh has been installed like 8 years ago and still hums along nicely.

That system dual boots into Vista as well and I admit that it works rather OK down there... but I don't like the OS at all, it doesn't virtualize well unless you give it heaps of resources and even then it is doubtful when using it virtual. In that case I like Windows Server 2008 way better.. but that's just my personal opinion of course. Glad to hear you have resolved your problems!

--

Wil

0 Kudos