VMware Communities
Virtually
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Removable Devices" - USB Bridge Array - How to configure Guest access?

Workstation 11 (on Windows Host), but I suspect this question applies to many versions of Workstation and maybe other VMware products.

To a certain degree, wondering if there is a standard way to find "Removable Devices" passed to a Guest... Most often a Linux but also Windows Guests.

I notice there are a number of different "Removable Devices" the most ordinary are fairly reliably discovered by the Guest... things like CDROM, networking,  printer and sound card.

But what if a less ordinary device is recognized and passed to the Guest?

Scenario:

In this case, the device is a 4-bay SATA array with its own bridge, in other words instead of 4 USB connections to each disk or a USB hub, a full bridge adapter is embedded in the device so that whether a single USB or eSATA connection to the Host is used, the bridge manages the data flow to the 4 disks. Is recognized as a "JMicron USA USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge"

Problem:

When the device is passed to a Linux Guest, udev doesn't seem to pick up the new device.

Am running LXDE Desktop, so there is also some, but limited Desktop capability to detect new devices.

Do not know how this type of device should be exposed to the Guest which might allow me to try to mount the new storage device.

TIA,

Tony

0 Kudos
0 Replies