VMware Communities
gdalton
Contributor
Contributor

"Out of Memory" errors after Windows 10 Creators Update

Windows 8.1 guest on Windows 10 host will only run for a few minutes before getting memory error message.

Have had to hard reset host machine 3 times this evening when guest VM running in background.

Happens even when nothing running in guest OS.

Windows 10 host seems to run fine so far without VMware running.

106 Replies
ChiefEngineer
Contributor
Contributor

I, too have the same issue. Machine is Dell 7710 workstation, NVidia video, current version of VMWare Workstation (12.5.5). Installed Windows 10 Creator on a guest OS, no problems so far (several days worth of tinkering, including a couple of minor Windows updates).

Changed the host to W 10 Creator (1703), immediately started getting "Out of Memory" errors. Didn't matter which OS was the guest or how many, although the number of guests just caused it to crash quicker.

I have tried to capture the error message on the way out, but can't seem to get it in time (like the others). I have rolled back to Anniversary edition and all is well again, even the W10 1703 guest. I can try to spin up a single guest and wait for the error to occur and perhaps pause the guest to see if that stops the memory leak long enough to get this "support package" that is referenced elsewhere (this would be a Real Good Time to step in and give me details on what needs to be done - I'm in the somewhat unique position of having VMWare Workstation be the *only* application running on the host - I do all of my development in the various guests).

The one time I did see it briefly, it was referencing the svga driver (that's all I could see before the screen went blank), and I have noticed that Task Manager memory allocation just seems to increase until failure in 1703.

Let me know what I can do do get this along to being fixed! I rely on VMWare for work and CANNOT live without it!

0 Kudos
slewantoski2005
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have Virtual Printing enabled?

I've just installed Workstation on a test system so my main system does not crash every time.

There, at first, i was also unable to reproduce the problem.

Then i began to compare settings: install VMware Tools, activate Shared Folders and finally enabled virtual printing -> problem now also exists on the test system.

Now i disabled virtual printing on my main system -> problem does no longer exists on my main system.

Will now re-try switching virtual printing to see if this is random or not.

Best Regards

Edit: Tried it now on both systems:

Virtual Printing enabled: Out of Memory Error while running Guests

Virtual Printing disabled: Error does not occur

ChiefEngineer
Contributor
Contributor

I do have virtual printing enabled!

Thanks for the tip!

--Bruce

"Bang the Button - It Just Works!"

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:49 PM, slewantoski2005 <

0 Kudos
itsmpro
Contributor
Contributor

That's a good catch. Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
reub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Indeed.  Disabling virtual printing looks to have worked around the problem for me too.  Fingers crossed.............

0 Kudos
PeteM92
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for this hint! It really seems to help.

After disabling virtual printing I could run a virtual maschine for more than 1 hour now without error.

Dispite of this I´d like to encourage VMWare to find a final solution.

0 Kudos
gdalton
Contributor
Contributor

Was still getting the OOM errors and crashes after the Patch Tuesday Update to Win10 v.1703 b.15063.138.

Windows VM guests seem to be affected only.

Linux guest VMs seem to work fine.

Updated my AMD Radeon Drivers to the new Creators Update version 17.4.2 and Windows guests now seem to run better.

Can run for over an hour until I get low memory warning...but I am able to shut down safely without crashing.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello all,

Currently we seem to find that the cause of the issue is thinprint. When thinprint enabled, it will load splwow64 which is leaking committed memory. We are still working on this to identify if it is VMware Workstation bug or Windows bug. Currently the workaround is to disable thinprint in Edit>Preferences>Devices>uncheck "Enabel virtual printers".

GevorgMel
Contributor
Contributor

Thank all of you guys for digging out a thing to make it works.

Great work!!! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
pjveenstra
Contributor
Contributor

Is there also a way to disable Thinprint when you are using VMWare Horizon Client 4.4. There doesn't seemed to be a setting for this.

0 Kudos
rachelsunsm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The easest way to disable Thinprint is to change the file name of TPCInRDP.dll to another name like TPCInRDP1212121.dll

The file is under:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Vmware\ThinPrint

Thanks,

Rachel

austinman
Contributor
Contributor

Glad I found this post. Running VMWare Workstation 12.5.5 build-5234757 on Windows 10:

pastedImage_1.png

Run two different Windows 7 VMs. Not typically at the same time. Both cause out of memory errors.

Disabled print sharing and it stops the crashing. This is a tough one for me, as one of my VMs needs access to a shared printer. Thanks for investigating.

Like others, I suspected a video driver issue due to the error messages Windows 10 gave me. After one crash I had to reinstall the driver:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
QBTech
Contributor
Contributor

SANTECH Laptop

I7 6700K

32GB Ram

OS W10 Pro Build 15063.138

VMWare Workstation Pro V12.5.5

Same problem.

Disabling thinprint driver stop anymore crash but i think only slowdown the problem.

I see that in 6 hours of work my virtual machine (is 16GB of Ram) become over 17.000 kb of ram in host pc.

Continue little filling up the memory,

Only disabled thinprint driver, not graphical acceleration.

Seems that vmx process continue to allocate ram and forgot to release when not necerrary.

Massimo

0 Kudos
PeteM92
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

QBTech,

I don´t think you have to bother about 17.000 kB of RAM, when you have 16.000.000 kB of RAM available?

Anyhow, I hope, VMWare finds a solution for this problem soon, since the ability to have host system printers available in guest system is pretty worthful.

0 Kudos
QBTech
Contributor
Contributor

sorry....i forgot some '0'.....

I mean 17gb used also with virtual machine setted to 16gb. The sistem was working because the host have 32bg of ram.

0 Kudos
NetteS
Contributor
Contributor

I had same issue after updating to Creators update. I tried disabling print, but same thing happened. Out of memory and then crash. I updated the display driver on the host and now I have no problems. I have even turned on print again.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank goodness I found this thread, the crashes and out of memory after updating to Win 10 Creators build.

I've also updated the host to the latest AMD Radeon drivers and disabled ThinPrint, and so far no more issues.

However would like a fix as having no printing devices is a pain, to say the least !

0 Kudos
austinman
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the latest Windows 10 update:

pastedImage_0.png

Still getting out of memory messages, but the complete crashes seem to have stopped. In fact, the virtual machine closed down and told me at had created a vmware.log file. Would this be of use to VMWare engineers?

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you for your information! Currently we are still working on this issue.

0 Kudos
MohamedBaher
Contributor
Contributor

guys any updates on enabling virtual printing with the new creators updates ?!