VMware Communities
gdalton
Contributor
Contributor

"Out of Memory" errors after Windows 10 Creators Update

Windows 8.1 guest on Windows 10 host will only run for a few minutes before getting memory error message.

Have had to hard reset host machine 3 times this evening when guest VM running in background.

Happens even when nothing running in guest OS.

Windows 10 host seems to run fine so far without VMware running.

106 Replies
reub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Bonnie,

How can we gather a support bundle when the problem first appears by having the screen go black, and then 30 seconds later the entire PC reboots?

I'd really like to help with the problem but it's going to be tricky to get the support bundle generated   😞

How did you try to reproduce locally?  If you can tell us how you were reproducing it then we can tell you what is different between what you are doing and what we are all doing to cause this problem to happen.

In my case I am not doing anything unusual, just starting up a single Windows 10 VM.  So the steps for me to reproduce this would be just about using Workstation normally like I have done for many months before.

I have a Creators Update both on the host and on the guest.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you Reuben for your response! Then a support bundle before the issue causes host reboot would also help! What I did was just powering on a Windows 10 Creators Update VM or Windows 8.1 VM, playing video in the VM, or using Google earth. I had the VM running for a whole night, but did not run into any memory issue.

0 Kudos
reub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Bonnie,

What host operating system were you running Workstation on to test with?

0 Kudos
GevorgMel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bonnie,

Please confirm that your host PC is Windows 10 x64 1703 and you have running VM on that environment. Btw, you should play video not in VM but in host PC.

Just wanted to let you know, that after Windows 10 x64 1073 cumulative update I've done yesterday  (April 11). The warning message box appears but after it the system doesn't hang. You can continue to work on it. It seams that Microsoft fixed some things with this update. But we are still getting the warning message.

Thanks

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My host was Windows 10 Creators Update.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi GevorgMel,

Just to confirm, did you mean Windows 10 1703 GA build would cause host hang, but latest update in April 11 would not cause host hang, but the "out of memory" message still prompts?

0 Kudos
PeteM92
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same Problem here: VMWare crashes host system, erreor message out of memory or similar.

This crash occurs with host system Windows Creators update 1703 build 15063.13 (installed 2 days ago) and also after yesterdays update to build 15063.138 (installed this morning (Apr. 12th)

My system:

VMWare Workstation 12 Player Version 12.5.5 build-5234757

16GB of memory, about 5.9 GB used when VMWare guest is running.

Guest system a) Win10 1607 build 14393.969,

Guest system b) Win10 1703 build 15063.13

I´d like to help VMWare engineers, but I need detailed instruction how to.

0 Kudos
GevorgMel
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm confirming that after update to xxxxx.138 build my PC doesn't crash anymore, just getting warning message.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thank you PeteM92! For Player, you can go to VMware Playe installation path typically C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player, and execute "vm-support.vbs -v <vmx_file_path>" (<vmx_file_path> is under the VM folder with .vmx extention). Please also attach the dump file under C:\Windows\memory.dmp or minidump at C:\Windows\Minidump.

0 Kudos
PeteM92
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please specify additional conditions, under which I shall create the support file: e.g. VMWare Player started, guest system running normally, try do do that after crash (this is difficult, since my hosst Windows screen turns black and I hve to force a shutdown by pressing power knop for a couple of seconds) and so on...

By the way, there are no .dmp files stored in my C:\windows folder after at least 3 crashes.

Whom shell I send the support file to?  To you bonnie in a PN?

0 Kudos
reub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a thought - is it potentially graphics memory that is running out, and not DRAM?

The black screen beforehand tends to suggest graphics could be the problem, and you'd think that those of us with 16G of DRAM in our machines ought to be seeing much more uptime before things fall over.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As Reuben points out, it might be graphic memory that is running out. So no .dmp file is created since no crash happens but just black screen.I think you can just run guest operating system for a while and create support file before memory runs out and screen turns black. It does not need to be accurate about the point to create support file. You can either attach the support file here or send me in a PN. Thank you PeteM92!

0 Kudos
PeteM92
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just had another crash of VMWare. This time I was "lucky" - I had just one little program running in my host Windows10. This program was crashed too but I was able to create the requested support file after the crash.

As this support file contains personal information, I do not want to publish this file in the forum.

Whom shall i send this file to?

0 Kudos
reub
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In that case I can send one too then Bonnie.  Let me know where to send it  🙂

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello PeteM92, Reuben,

You can send the file to me via ywei@vmware.com. Thanks!

0 Kudos
GevorgMel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

Please share with your results if you have any updates on this thread progress.

Thanks

0 Kudos
PeteM92
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the meantime I sent a couple of support files to bonnie201110141. I hope, this helps VMWare program developers to find a solution soon.

0 Kudos
Bill_Brice
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.  Crashes right and left yesterday.  Since this "seems" to be a graphics problem, I'd be curious to know what graphics systems others having this problem are using.  Mine is an NVidia M4000 with latest stable "enterprise" drivers.   I suspected this yesterday but updating the NVidia drivers did not make a difference.

Ended up rolling back to 1607 to get some work done.

0 Kudos
AGrutz
Contributor
Contributor

... and another one. The same problem, since the Windows 10 1703 update. All images (Windows 10 Pro X 64, Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016) lead to the described "out of memory" error on the host system. Only an image with an older operating system (Windows Server 2008 R2) is so far stable. Tested on a desktop system and a notebook.

0 Kudos
PeteM92
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don´t know how to sort out graphics problems. My device manager (of host system) shows 2 graphics devices:

1) Intel HD Graphics Family (driver Intel)

2) NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (driver NVIDIA)

Both drivers should be updated by Windows Update.

In the moment I´m testing again with Virtual Maschine Settings > Display > 3D graphics checkbox "Accelerate 3Dgraphics" set to unchecked.

This seems to be a litle more stable

0 Kudos