VMware Communities
claudiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"Map virtual disk" missing in File Menu

Hi, I have a problem with a VM, it stopped with a VMWare error about disk files. Now, when I try to restart a snapshot, I get an error ("the file specified is not a virtual disk"). So I'm trying to mount the disk and see what I can do... Documentation says that I should find a "Map virtual disks" in the File menu, but that entry seems to be missing... what am I missing? Under "Connect to server" I have a grayed "export to OVF" and then "Exit". Workstation Pro is 17.0.0 build-20800274

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
claudiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, here is the result. I do have backups of the data, but rebuilding the guest would require involving several people, so getting it back would spare me a lot of time. But most of all, I'm curious and worried about file corruption on the host, which is... well, little more than a host.

Thanks for your time,

- Claudio

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Map Virtual Disk was removed in version 17.  And did not work after 16.1.2.

You've likely got a corrupted disk file.  Attach the vmware.log, a full directory listing showing file names and sizes, and (if the disk is split) the small text descriptor file of the vmdk.

claudiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here they are. Is there a different way to mount a disk, considering the snapshots? 

Thanks

- Claudio

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What happened is that one of the snapshots in the middle of the chain has been modified, so that the chain link needs to be fixed.

2023-01-18T13:08:48.719Z In(05) vmx DISKLIB-LINK : DiskLinkIsAttachPossible: Content ID mismatch (parentCID a9082917 != fc7df7b8) D:\vmware\windows 10 x64\Windows 10 x64-000016.vmdk D:\vmware\windows 10 x64\Windows 10 x64-000018.vmdk.
2023-01-18T13:08:48.719Z Er(02) vmx DISKLIB-CHAIN : DiskChainOpen: "D:\vmware\windows 10 x64\Windows 10 x64-000018.vmdk": failed to open: The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created. The content ID of the parent virtual disk does not match the corresponding parent content ID in the child.

To find out what needs to be done:

1. Create an new temporary directory, and extract the script files from the attached .zip archive into this folder
  2. Drag the VM's folder onto the .cmd file. This will extract the .vmdk files' metadata, i.e. no user data into Metadata*.bin files
  3. compress/zip the Metadata*.bin files
  4. attach the .zip archive to your next reply

A huge number of the existing snapshots are related by the "Autoprotect" feature that's enabled in the VM's settings. Please remember that this feature does NOT replace backups!

André

claudiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, here is the result. I do have backups of the data, but rebuilding the guest would require involving several people, so getting it back would spare me a lot of time. But most of all, I'm curious and worried about file corruption on the host, which is... well, little more than a host.

Thanks for your time,

- Claudio

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This looks quite messy. Not sure what happened, but it should be possible to recover the state of 17/01/2023 14:24 in a good state.

To do this close VMware Workstation, then edit the VM's .vmx file, and set the VM's virtual disk file to "Windows 10 x64-000005.vmdk".
After doing this an BEFORE powering on the VM, take a new snapshot!
You may also consider to disable "Autoprotect" in the VM's settings before taking the snapshot.

If the VM powers on, and everything looks as expected, shut down the VM and create a full clone (which will consolidate the involved snapshots) to get a clean state.

André

claudiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,
it worked 🙂
With some small issues. When I tried to open the VM, I got an error that "Windows 10 x64-000005.vmdk" was not found. The name was correct, however, and I was offered to browse for the file, so I selected the file and managed to open it. I was not allowed take the snapshot the VM, with an error stating that there was no difference from the previous snapshot. I was also not allowed to clone it, since the snapshot was taken while the VM was powered on. So I just powered it on, and it loaded!
...but I got an instant BSOD. After rebooting, however, the VM restarted properly.
I disconnected the network interface, to avoid online data corruption before I was sure that everything was fine, then shut it down and cloned it. Now it seems to work properly. I'm still worried about the data corruption causes, but anyway.

Thank you for the great help and support!

0 Kudos