VMware Communities
michirenz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Disk file not found" (but present - Win 10 x64-000001.vdmk)

Dear members,

I´m using VMWare Workstation 16x. One VM is operating with Win10 x64. I used this VM for about 9 month without any problems. Unfortunately after suspending the VM and shutting down the host, I wasn´´ t able to resume the VM. When I push the button to resume the VM, VMWare prompts:

"File not found: C:\Users\XYZ\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 10 x64\Windows 10 x64-000001.vmdk
This file is required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, specify the new location".

When I checked the VM´ s folder, I could see the "missing" file is present.

Also using the "Browse" option doesn´ t work. When I manually specify the missing file the VM fails powering on showing this message:

"The system cannot find the file specified
Cannot open the disk 'C:\Users\XYZ\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 10 x64\Windows 10 x64-000001.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.
Module 'Disk' power on failed.
Failed to start the virtual machine"

I attached the folder structure and the error messages here:

https://workupload.com/archive/TEFKAvJp

Also interesting is the fact, that I cannot power off the VM. Also deleting the .lck-files doesn´ t work.
When I start VMWare and go to the VM´ s tab, I can still see the last system state:

https://workupload.com/file/9TpHBqm2JXr

In the VM´ s folder is showing up a .lck, which disappears after closing VMWare. Deleting the file in the meanwhile doesn´ t change anything.

Do you have some idea how I can restore my VM?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michirenz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately it didn´t work, but I fixed the issue by replacing the missing file 026.vdmk with 027.vdmk  (works for sure also with xxx.vdmk). Before I tryed this measure I backed up the entire folder of the VM and used it to play around. After replacing the file as mentioned, the VM started again. After checking the disk integrity, I missed only the Chrome browser cache 😄

So the solution is pretty simple, but maybe doesn´t work, when the VM is brand new / contains only the operating system as the measure probably also deletes some necessary files of the operating system.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Try to replace the missing file with e.g. the 512kb "...s029.vmdk" file.

This will of course not bring back the likely 4GB data that may were stored in the original file, but it should allow you to access the virtual disk again, either by mapping it to the host OS, or by trying to boot the VM.
What I strongly recommend is to either backup the VM's files before powering it on, or at least to take another snapshot, so that the current files won't get modified.

Something else you may want to check, is whether the missing file has been quarantined by your A/V.

André

0 Kudos
michirenz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately it didn´t work, but I fixed the issue by replacing the missing file 026.vdmk with 027.vdmk  (works for sure also with xxx.vdmk). Before I tryed this measure I backed up the entire folder of the VM and used it to play around. After replacing the file as mentioned, the VM started again. After checking the disk integrity, I missed only the Chrome browser cache 😄

So the solution is pretty simple, but maybe doesn´t work, when the VM is brand new / contains only the operating system as the measure probably also deletes some necessary files of the operating system.

0 Kudos