VMware Communities
SteveMattingly
Contributor
Contributor

"Can't read from the source file or disk"

My disk is failing.  Two of my vmdk flies will not copy and it produces the error, "Can't read from the source file or disk".

A few years ago I had the same problem and used.

vmware-vdiskmanager -R "D:\Virtual Machine\Windows 7\virtualdisk.vmdk"

Or in my case

vmware-vdiskmanager -R "B:\W7X64_SGM\W7X64_SGM-s010.vmdk"

Now this command produces "unknown command".

Any help is appreciated. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

please download utility separately from following KB

VMware KB: Repairing a virtual disk in Fusion 3.1 and Workstation 7.1

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator note: Please post discussions about products in their forum area - this thread has been moved to "Workstation Pro"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
LLXue
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I had the same error when I tried to copy and paste the VM directory. I did follow KB: Repairing a virtual disk in Workstation (2019259) but it came back with no errors found. Is there any further action that I can fix the issue? VM can run but can't copy and paste. Thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Lisa

Can't read from the source file or disk is not something to fix with vmware-vdiskmanager -R but rather a job for checkdisk.

A job for vdiskmanager -R can easily be identified by lots of entires in the vmware.log with graintable errors.

If there are none - go for checkdisk

0 Kudos