VMware Communities
tlalok007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Application failure. hr=0x80040101: Failed to initialize virtual machine" on Workstation TechPreview 07/2015 with Windows 10 x64 final

Hello,

I just did a fresh install of Windows 10 (x64) on my Surface Pro. Then I installed Workstation 11.1.2. Installation went fine. But when starting, I get the error message from the headline.

Same with Workstation TechPreview 07/2015, vSphere Client 6.0 and Remote Console. Seems to be a General Problem accessing the remote console of vms.

Any Workaround known yet? I can't connect to any VM right now.

Cheers,

- Carsten

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ogerionnl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Carsten,

I have the same problem when I logged in with a Azure AD account. If i login locally no problem.

What is the scenerio you facing with?

Kind regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
ogerionnl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Carsten,

I have the same problem when I logged in with a Azure AD account. If i login locally no problem.

What is the scenerio you facing with?

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
aarstila
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Having the same issue. Upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win10 RTM, and with Microsoft account login VMware Player Plus worked fine. However when I log in with Azure AD, VMware Player gives error 0xc0000005 (access violation) when launching it. Tried reinstall with no effect. Tried installing VMware workstation, it gives that same error as original poster described.

0 Kudos
tlalok007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for pointing me to the Azure AD as root cause of the problem. Yes, I'm using it too.

Since it is quite new stuff I'm afraid there is no solution.

For now, I use an rdp connection to the vcenter server and start the vSphere client there.

Not very comfortable, but at lease I have a solution to start VMs.

Kind regards

- Carsten

0 Kudos
JBHorne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue here. Windows 10 x64 logging in with an AzureAD account. First was the inability to sync windows settings, then not able to use Cortana, and now this...

0 Kudos
aarstila
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
aarstila
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A temporary workaround (thanks to a Twitter tip) is to use runas to start VMware management tools with a working account (local account or Live ID).

0 Kudos
tembenite
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware

Do we have an ETC on a fix on this?

0 Kudos
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This bug was fixed in Workstation 12.

0 Kudos
JBHorne
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue with the vSphere Client.

0 Kudos
tembenite
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

And when will it be fixed in Workstation 11, or are you giving free upgrades to Workstation 11 users who have this issue?

I've had Workstation 11 for less than a year. I really hope the official answer isn't, "We're only going to fix that bug in the latest version of our software".

0 Kudos