VMware Communities
Eagleeye22
Contributor
Contributor

"A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state"

I have installed WMware Workstation 12.5 Player on a Windows 7 x64.

I then try to install Windows 7 x64 via SCCM by booting on a iso file.

I've done the exact same thing with the exact same settings on both the VMware Workstation and the VM and same hardware as well.

But this time Im getting the error "A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state" just after the boot. I see the first progress bar that says "Loading files...". Then comes the blue Windows flag a few seconds, then I get the error message.

Se attached Picture

pastedImage_1.png

I've compared BIOS settings with other installations that works but can't see any differences.

When I search on Google I get a lot of users with this error on VirtualBox and Windows 8 but this is WMware Player and Windows 7 x64

Have any of ou seen this and can help me out here?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Eagleeye22
Contributor
Contributor

No one!?

Any ideas are appreciated...

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That error code (0x000000C4) should only occur if Driver Verifier has been explicitly enabled in your Windows guest OS.  Have you specifically enabled Driver Verifier in the iso image or in its boot configuration?  Was it for debugging another failure?  Have you added any device drivers to the Windows image booting inside the VM?  What's the host CPU model?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Eagleeye22
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks dariusd,

I can't really say if Driver Verifier is enabled. How can I check that? Can I see that in the ISO in some way?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't exactly know.  I thought it would be the sort of thing that couldn't be enabled by accident.

Is it a non-debugging build of Windows you're using?  They're called a "free build" (not free as in cost, just free of debugging checks), as contrasted with the debugging-enabled "checked build".  I don't even think a checked build of Windows would throw the error you're seeing without Driver Verifier, though, but I don't really have any other explanations.  Strange.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos