VMware Communities
langthang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

problem with usb webcam

Hi people, when i'm on my usb webcam for awhile the vmware power turns off itself. This is the log for the problem

Feb 03 16:21:20.538: vmx| USB: Disconnecting device 0x1000504f2a13c

Feb 03 16:21:20.547: vmx| USBGL: USBDEVFS_CONNECT(4) failed 1:11:Resource temporarily unavailable

Feb 03 16:21:20.548: vmx| TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'enableDnD' -> '0'

Feb 03 16:21:20.548: vmx| TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'copypaste' -> '0'

Feb 03 16:21:20.548: vmx| TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'copypaste' -> '0'

Feb 03 16:21:20.563: vmx| USB: Disconnecting device 0x200000010e0f0002

Feb 03 16:21:20.563: vmx| USB: Disconnecting device 0x400000010e0f0003

Feb 03 16:21:20.567: vmx| GLPrimaryDestroy, thread vmx

Feb 03 16:21:20.590: vmx| MKS local poweroff

Feb 03 16:21:20.596: vmx| ide0:0: numIOs = 8135 numMergedIOs = 819 numSplitIOs = 24 ( 2.8%)

Feb 03 16:21:21.372: vmx| WORKER: asyncOps=10575 maxActiveOps=4 maxPending=4 maxCompleted=5

Feb 03 16:21:21.446: vmx| Transitioned vmx/execState/val to poweredOff

Feb 03 16:21:21.757: vmx| vmdbPipe_Streams Couldn't read: OVL_STATUS_EOF

Feb 03 16:21:21.757: vmx| VMX idle exit

Feb 03 16:21:21.760: vmx| Flushing VMX VMDB connections

Feb 03 16:21:21.760: vmx| IPC_exit: disconnecting all threads

Feb 03 16:21:21.760: vmx| VMX exit (0).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What Host OS? What Guest OS? What version of VMware Workstation?

Please attach the vmware.log and .vmx file from the directory containing the Guest that is having problems.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What Host OS? What Guest OS? What version of VMware Workstation?

Please attach the vmware.log and .vmx file from the directory containing the Guest that is having problems.

0 Kudos
langthang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's my 2 files. I run archlinux for the host and windows xp professional for the guest. I have VMware Workstation

0 Kudos
langthang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any idea?

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I'm sorry. I don't have any experience with archlinux as a Host. Looking over your log files I didn't see anything jump out as the cause of your USB webcam problems.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with suggestions.

I have the following generic suggestions for you though:

- Your Host has 2 CPU cores and you appear to have configured your Guest with 2 vCPUs. This can cause resource contention and the Guest to run slow if you have any other programs running on your Host. I suggest changing your Guest to only have 1 vCPU.

- Configure the Guest CD-ROM to start Disconnected and only "connect" it when you need to use it.

- I see that you have VMware Shared Folders enabled. I have had strange experiences with VMware Shared Folders, so would only recommend using them temporarily. If you need to regularly share files between the Host and Guest I suggest using standard file sharing (Samba, etc).

0 Kudos
langthang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just tried all of your suggestions but it still happens. I'm retaking the log file and hopefully someone else can help me. Thanks Scissor![~338393]

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>The specified device appears to be claimed by another driver (usbhid) on the host operating system which means

>that the device may be in use. To continue, the device will first be disconnected from its current driver.

Check if some of your hosts's apps has the webcam in ise and does not release it

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
langthang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

continuum, my keyboard and mouse is using usbhid, What should i do?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That should not matter - but if you can test PS/2 mouse and keyboard to see if that helps please try that

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
nextech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LangThang,

This may sound like an odd question, but do you have a 64-bit processor, or Gigabit ethernet?

I had some similar problems on an Ubuntu machine, and was also experiencing extremely slow shared folders, from my experience the problem (with slow shared folders) seems to be

related to "Large Send Offload" being enabled on the host machine's network

adapter. This seems to be very common among machines with an

Intel-based gigabit ethernet adapter in the host machine. It seems to

be common on Windows, Apple Mac OS X, and Linux users that all seem to

have a Gigabit Ethernet adapter (usually an Intel 1000 based adapter)

or they have a network adapter that supports Large Send Offload, and

for some reason this seems to be enabled by default, and it seems to

cause problems with VMWare products. For some reason VMWare machines (that have a "bridged" guest OS) crash, or have extremely slow file share performance between the host and guest OS when this "Large Send Offload" is enabled on the host machine's network adapter. I posted the correct solution to

this problem with detailed instructions here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1191790#1191790

I hope this helps, I'm not sure if this problem you are experiencing is related or not, but it's something worth trying. For some reason the "Large Send Offload" was causing problems with VMWare Workstation (and VMWare Fusion). I run an Apple Mac Pro (2008/2009) with dual quad-core XEON 3.2Ghz, and I run OS X, Vista Ultimate x64, and Ubuntu natively. I was experiencing some crazy problems with shared folder performance, slow logins, and even some crashes under Linux, but I finally believe that I've isolated the problems down to the "Large Send Offload" that is enabled (by default) on many newer gigabit ethernet adapters (especially the Intel 1000 series adapters). You may want to take a look, and see if this is enabled, and take a few minutes to go in and disable this and see if it helps with the problems you are having. I believe it will at least solve your slow network file share performance problems, and it may even cause VMWare to stop crashing when you use your USB camera. I'm not sure, but I know that disabling the "Large Send Offload" on my host machine's network adapter seemed to fix all the slow file share performance problems that I was experiencing on several different machines between the host and guest OS. Since I disabled "Large Send Offload" my Ubuntu machine doesn't crash anymore as well.

It's worth a try...

Mark

0 Kudos