VMware Communities
wildrose
Contributor
Contributor

problem in running DOS base program under virtual machine created with windows 98 under windows xp host machine

Dear All,

I created a Virtural PC on a Microsoft Windows XP Machine. I intsalled the Virtual machine with windows 98 operating system. my purpose was for running a DOS based accounting software "Tally 4.5" under the virtual machine. I seems to be succeeded upto almost 60 % as i have been able to run the software. But when I try to make new entris under the existing company's under the software i could not be able to make any changes or i couldnt make any new entry even.

On the other hand after installing the same if i create a new company under the same virtual machine, I found the new company fully operatable as all the function are working perftectely OK in that.

So plz suggest me what should i do to solve this problem at the earliest.

with thanks and regards

Ripal Bhatt

0 Kudos
2 Replies
avarcher
Commander
Commander

Is there any hardware, beyond disk and networking, that the application needs to access?

If not, and you have been able to launch the application, I would suggest the problem is with the application and should be investigated from that perspective.

I found a blog that discusses installation of the app in a MS VM. In that a VMware VM is just a different version of virtual hardware the bulk of the instructions still apply. Here it is

wildrose
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Avarcher,

Thanks for the Reply,

First of all the application doesnt require any kind of Hardware support to run on. I have tried to reinstall the software a number of times in the windows 98 based virtual machine and agian i have restored the data from the backup. But again i m facing the same problem. But as i told earlier if i create a new company withing VM Ware virutal machine of windows 98, i found the software works perfactely ok with that newly created company. So I m a lot confused and i m losing my time in this to get a positive outcome. I hope u seniors will help us out in every mannor.

Thanks and Regards,

Wild Rose

0 Kudos