Hello,

I can't print from the VM with CUPS to the configured printer in the Win7 host;

Win7 has a printer 'OH-1-2-MFC' which works fine when I print, for
example, from Office;

in the VM in CUPS the printer is defined as

lpd://10.49.96.52/OH-1-2-MFC

in Win7 the LPD print service is enabled and running; when I now do a
print job in the VM and sniff the traffic to 10.49.96.52 I can see that:

- the IP 10.49.96.52 (the Win7) accepts the request on port 515 (LPD)
- CUPS sends down the queue name 'OH-1-2-MFC'
- Win7 immediately resets the connection

This let me think some missing permissions in Win7...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

matthias

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please make sure that your network printer driver install in VM while printing from VM . Printer driver will not show the at a time both host and guest. So you have to use them separately.

Cheers, Yours Udin

0 Kudos
guru201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I do not fully understand what you want me to do exactly. I feel that you want me to install some kind of driver. I do not think that this has to do with the problem. The CUPS backend 'lpd' in the VM is just talking LPD protocol to the other host (the Win7 host) to port 515, i.e. it is just TCP/IP and we do not need any further driver in the VM to talk TCP. The VM at the same time can nicely talk LPD to other CUPS installation in my network or to physical printers, this just works fine. Only the Win7 host is denying the LPD request, to be exactly: it is receiving the LPD request, answering the request correctly and when it has received the name of the queue it is terminating the protocol.

Matthias

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you print to this LPD printer from another PC (not from the VM and not from the host itself)?

guru201110141
Contributor
Contributor

It took me some time to get the internal firewalls changed so that I could contact my Win7 laptop from some other Linux host on port 515; the result is NO and YES concerning if LPD works.

NO:

The printers configured in Win7 are somehow not known to the LPD service running on Win7. LPD requests to them are answered with an octet of non-zero; these printers are somehow added as a result of a "Domain integration" via

Devices/Printer-->Add printer-->Add network(...) printer-->search in diretory-->....

YES:

I configured then a new LOCAL printer attached on USB on the Win7 laptop; and this works just fine from the remote system;

In general: the problem is not VM related. I have to find out why the above printers are not known by LPD service.

Thanks

matthias

0 Kudos