VMware Communities
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

preallocated first vmdk checkbox missing in 7.1.4 - false alarm

in earlier versions we could create new VMs with preallocated first disks - now in 7.1.4 the first disk is always created in sparse format as the checkbox is missing

anoying workaround - delete first disk right after creation and add another one - this time the checkbox is available

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ibauer
Contributor
Contributor

continuum, I can't reproduce that. WS version 7.1.4 behaves in this regard exactly in the same way as 7.1.3. Just tried to create a new Windows 7 VM...When it comes to creating a new virtual disk for that VM, the wizard page displays the "Allocate all disk space now" checkbox as usual. My host is running Windows 7 x64 and I did clean install of WS 7.1.4 (manually uninstalled 7.1.3 and downloaded the WS setup file myself).

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

untitled.PNG

I tried on 2008 R2 and 2003 and don't get the preallocate option

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I just downloaded and installed VMware Workstation 7.1.4 on Windows 7, that has never had a VMware product installed on, and upon first use and walking through the New Virtual Machine Wizard when selecting Custom (advanced) I do have the Allocate all disk space now check box available and active however if selecting Typical (recommended) then the Allocate all disk space now check box is not available although I believe that to be the default behavior in both cases.

Just checked this in eariler versions and the results are the same so the default behavior is as described.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

ok - then maybe it is expected behaviour and I never noticed it before

so this is a false alarm

0 Kudos