VMware Communities
Taydoitbest
Contributor
Contributor

please help, how do I get my files off my virtual network if I can't access the virtual network. I know there is a folder on my pc.

Please help!

So today I found I will have to reinstall windows 8 on my dell xps all in one pc. My pc won't boot because the bios files must be corrupt. Anyways that isn't the problem. The problem is I created a virtual machine and decided to store 10000 songs on it. I talked to Dell customer support and we find a way to save my files on my computer but the applications will need to be installed again (the setup will create a windows old folder). So my question is will it be possible to get all of my songs from the virtual machine? When my computer was working I checked the actually VM folder but it contained 4 GBsnof data. How is that possible if on the real virtual machine it contained 40GBs of used space? Please help I want to save my files.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If I understand your issues correctly, will you be able to copy out the whole VM folder (that is the folder that contains all .vmx, .vmdk files)? If yes, you can reinstall Workstation when you have reinstalled your PC, and power on the VM.

0 Kudos
Taydoitbest
Contributor
Contributor

Hey bonnie,

Thank you very much for your response. Yes the agent told me everything will be stored in windows old, so I will still have everything that was in that folder. What is puzzling to me is how can all those files (6gbs worth) be hidden inside a 4 gb folder? I guess the good news is all I have to do is open the existing virtual machine and all of my songs will still be there. Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos