VMware Communities
tlunn
Contributor
Contributor

[patch] Vmware 9 on Linux Kernel 3.8rc4

Here is a small patch that fixes the build issues of the vmci module on linux kernel 3.8rc4.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
30 Replies
lgraves
Contributor
Contributor

I can't apply the patch. I tried it by the directions given and the patch will not install on Fedora 18, kernel 3.8.1-201. Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Lawrence E Graves
0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Failed again.  I followed all your  instructions -  even go the   extent  of sudo cp /usr/bin/patch to my home directory to which I  have rwx             permissions.

Two things.

1) I needed to modify the symbolic link    found iin a number  of palces on the   web to a copy command (also apperainig on the web)

sudo cp  /usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.2-030802-generic/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.2-030802/include/linux/version.h

This  is because  the target of the symbolic link   does  not  exist!

2)  Even after  vmci.tar (correctly placher in ~) was   copied back to its location (usinkg  sudo). reruning the  inistaller still brought up the specify the header location dialog.  In both    locations f the .h files (-generic and plain) are  greyed out ini Dolphin .  This  almost  certainly is  why the  patch command s doesnt't     work - but then   again I''m t a kernel programmer so I can't  say for  sure.  I can open the VM's I created ini Ubuntu Raring using  kernel 3.6 to my Debian  Wheezy installation where I'm leaving the kernel at   3.2 for time  beinig. I can  alos copy the VM's    to    my Windows 8 partiiton and run them as WS 9 is  installed there. 

To  me these contortions using   VMware  WS 9 on kernels > 3.6 are not worth my time  anymore.  I'm disappointed in VMware Inc for not  addresssing this. VirtualBox   inistalls and runs its Virtual lMachines without a hitch - I'm running Windows    7 x64 VM right   now in  Rarinig  host.  It also has full audio which I knoiw  from  past      experience   would be problematic for WS as  well.

Kernel developers are movinig right along.  Kernel 3.9 is now at  the  rc level.  VirtualBox installs but can't  open VM's in Fedora   Rawhide with  kerrnel 3.9.  I'll  try  3.9-rc1-rarinig to see  if that works  for  VB and if anybody has coded  and successfuly installed WS 9 using  3.9 then  I'll  comment.

Congrats to those that  got   WS 9 working on 3.8 and I feel the  pain of those could not:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
tlunn
Contributor
Contributor

1) I needed to modify the symbolic link    found iin a number  of palces  on the   web to a copy command (also apperainig on the web)

You are clearly not using the default raring kernel then.

To  me these contortions using   VMware  WS 9 on kernels > 3.6 are  not worth my time  anymore.  I'm disappointed in VMware Inc for not   addresssing this. VirtualBox   inistalls and runs its Virtual lMachines  without a hitch - I'm running Windows    7 x64 VM right   now in   Rarinig  host.

Ok, so you are using a development version of a distro, it is meant for developers only. I am pretty sure most developers wouldnt have much issue appying the simple patch required for the kernel module.

Vmware have in the past been pretty good with updates, but really atleast wait for raring to be released first!

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I'll wait with VMware since I don't have any choice.  The only kernels that are   installable without a patch are <=3.6.x.  In the meantime I  can use VirtualBox <=3.8.x (kernel  3.9 fails for VB so far for me at least).  QEMU/KVM installs just finie on Fedora Rawhide and openSUSE 12.3.  I have installed 9.0.1 and will lpldate to 9.0.2 on Windows 8 and  Linux can copy VM's I install with Ubuntu Rarinig usin Kernel 3.6 or Debian Wheezy kernle 3.2.

Plelnty of Virtualization solutions - all free except for WS.

PS.  I wouldn't count on VMware  WS support for Kernels 3.7 and up anytime soon.  No without somebody else writing a patch for them.  Maybe when,  youi pay for an upgrade  to version 10.

0 Kudos
tlunn
Contributor
Contributor

PS.  I wouldn't count on VMware  WS support for Kernels 3.7 and up  anytime soon.  No without somebody else writing a patch for them.  Maybe  when,  youi pay for an upgrade  to version 10.

Update has already been released!

http://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2013/03/vmware-workstation-9-0-2-now-available.html

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Yes. Minor update 10 9.0.2. I don't see that WS now can be installed on kernels 3.7 and up but if it can I'll install it real soon now. They will charge at least $99 for an upgrade to version 10.

0 Kudos
tlunn
Contributor
Contributor

* VMware Tool updated to support the latest Linux kernels

It is stated in the release notes.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

OK.  I must have missed that.  According tgo kernel.org that should be 3.8.2 which was stable as of 3/3. I'll try it out and see if it works for me.  In the meantime I supppose if anybody got it working withou a patch they could close this thread.

0 Kudos
babystrangeloop
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cd /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source

tar -xf vmci.tar

cd vmci-only

patch -p1 < 'patchfile'

cd ..

tar -cf vmci.tar vmci-only/

On VMware Fusion 5.0.3 I had to use this instead

Run as root:

cd /usr/lib/vmware-tools/modules/source

tar xvf vmic.tar

patch -p0 < ~/Downloads/linux-3.8_vmic_hotplug_struct.patch

tar cvf vmci.tar vmci-only

Is there anything that can be done to get VMware Inc. to put this in their distribution?

I think the reason that it's so slow is that the vmw_pvscsi.ko module is not loaded.

0 Kudos
zquad
Contributor
Contributor

How do I rerun the installer?

0 Kudos
LinuxG1rl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I have the same problem (kernel header 3.8.0-19-generic), but with Workstation 8. Since the patch is for Workstation 9, I assumed it will not work for me, so I tried to do:

sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-19-generic/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-3.8.0-19-generic/include/linux/version.h

It didn't fix the problem, I think it got worse, now I get: "Before you can run Vmware, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel". I press "install"
and then get another error: "Ubuntu 13.04 experience a crash".

What do I do now?

😞

Thanks in advance,

Linux Girl
0 Kudos