VMware Communities
pdipietro
Contributor
Contributor

nvidia drivers crashes on vmware workstation 7.1

about 3 or four time a week, my virtual machine crashes.

The keyboard is locked and a little windows message appears for few seconds on the lower bottom of the screen:

- nvidia driver failed. They have been successfully recovered,

After that, one of two different things could happen:

1) SIMPLE CASE: the system still works. If I go into the VM, the screen is all black. When I move the cursor over invisible icons, they resume. The windows control icons (iconize, maximize and close) never appears, even on newly opened windows.

I can open the tray icon on the host machine and suspend the running virtual machine then I can restart the system and resume the virtual machine.

2) WORST CASE: the mouse is no more responding. any times I click, the arrow move at the edge of the windows. I cannot open the tray, I cannot access the vmware console, I can do anything but alt-ctrl-del and close the system. The running Virtual machines are then killed. There is no way to safely close or recover them.

After the machine restarts (both host and virtual) there is no trace of the event on the windows event log.

The problem occurs randomly.

I'm running a Dell precision workstation with 16GB ram (nearly 8GB used) and dual 500 GB HD mirrored plus an sSS 64GB drive.

Quad core intel I7

Windows 7 professional x64 as the host system

NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800M driver 8.16.11.8921, dated feb 19, 2010

-

Virtual machine is a 4GB Windows 7 with 40GB hard disk (60% free)

Anyone experiment a similar crash and has a suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Paolo

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Are the VMware tools installed in the guest? Beside other important things they contain the necessary video driver for the virtual guest.

Does the crashes only happen when you work with your guest?

Have you installed the latest nvidea driver? If not, update them. If they are the latest go back one version.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
pdipietro
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, I'm not able to run in Unify mode on this machine.

0 Kudos
avabrent
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same problem with the exception I can still run unity.  One or two times a day my Video Card crashes while running VMWare Workstation 7.1.2 and when the driver recovers the VM display is black and I can't interact with it forcing me to kill the VM process and restart. Occasionally my entire machine will lock up forcing a hard reset. I have tried both the latest ISV and performance NVIDIA drivers and still experience the issue. I have also tried updfating the BIOS and even had the video card and motherboard replaceded by Dell and still the same result and only when running VMware Workstation.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Dell M6500 Percision Mobile Workstation

Quadro FX3800M

Core i7-940XM

16GB DDR3-1333 RAM

0 Kudos