VMware Communities
lordrt
Contributor
Contributor

.msi failure when installing VMware 8 trial

Hello

I just downloaded the exe for vmware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780 from the vmware website, however, when trying to install, upon installing packages, I get the following error message, with the OK button only, and it exits after clicking on the button:

The MSI 'C:\DOCUME~1\USERNAME\LOCALS~1\Temp\vmware_1317123397\vmware workstation.msi' failed.

Setup has detected that VMware Workstation is already installed on this machine. Please uninstall this product through the Control Panel and try again.

I had VMware 7 installed, but removed it before installing this one, and no VMware folder is present in Temp or in my Program Files folder, nor in Add/Remove Programs list on Windows XP.

Anyone can help me how to solve this and install vmware correctly? Now the version 7 as well is not installing, giving the same error as above.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
bling77
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, I was referring to Win 7 64 bit OS. Sorry, not sure why I am receiving this email. Though it was related to my problem of getting VMWare Workstation 8.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

You mentioned somethiong about going back to VMware Player - I had Windows 8 on my mind.  Too bad you need to reformaSmiley Sad and reinstall the OS.  I did point out I think that this was your ultimate solution.

0 Kudos
KarthikeyanK
Contributor
Contributor

VM-8.PNG

Hi This command worked for me in 64 Bit windows 7 os with latest pach update.

( VMware-workstation-full-8.0.0-471780.exe /z  "action"="install" )

Thanks a lot for your support

Thanks and Regards - KK

0 Kudos