VMware Communities
louis14
Contributor
Contributor

move of OEM vm license

Maybe a stupid question because I don't understand the real working of a .vmdk file.

Can I move the vm folder of an OEM (windows) vm to another PC with vmware workstation pro? Will the vm run w/o license problems on the new PC?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
louis14
Contributor
Contributor

FYI.

I use on the new PC the same vmware workstation version as on the original PC (where I uninstall the vmware workstation)

I choose for "vm moved" not "copied".

I ask this question because I am going to buy a windows 11 license on my current PC w vmware and I want to know whether I can move the vm later to my new PC..

0 Kudos
louis14
Contributor
Contributor

I've read about it and someone says the OEM guest vm moved to the new PC will be activated and run but it's not legal; against the rules of microsoft.

Is this right?

0 Kudos
michelkeus_stwg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Louis,

The problem with OEM licenses is that they are tied to the hardware (specifically the motherboard). So while it is legal to use an OEM license in a Virtual Machine, officially that requires 2 separate licenses (1 for the host and 1 for the VM) but both will be tied to the same underlying hardware.

Technically you can move the VM from an old PC to a new PC and it would work, but for the VM the license will stay behind due to the hardware-tied nature of the license. Had the VM been a retail version of Windows then this would not have been a problem as a retail-variant does not have this "hardware-lock".

Some reference information can be found here:

Hope this sheds some light on your predicament.

0 Kudos