VMware Communities
Harri84
Contributor
Contributor

mouse get "locked" inside VM (quick question)

Hi! I am new user of VMware Workstation, and I have encounetered a problem.

Now when I move mouse and click on VM desktop, the mouse get "trapped" inside VM and I can get it to move back to my main computer.Offcourse the mouse is released pressing alt+ctrl, but I move mouse a lot between main computer and VM while I'm working, so it's annoying to press these buttons all the time. I am using Win XP on both machines. And this problem is only on one virtual machine, others are working fine.

Please help me, I have tried to read all the help files, but haven't found answer.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Harri84
Contributor
Contributor

"the mouse get "trapped" inside VM and I can get it to move back to my main computer."

Can not I meant :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

installing the VMware Guest Tools will allow as seamless auto-"unlock" of your mouse when going in between windows.

0 Kudos
Harri84
Contributor
Contributor

It worked before without any extra programs. I think I pressed accidentaly something wrong on my keyboard, and solution is to press those buttons again. But what those buttons are?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If you have the VMware Guest Tools installed it will allow for seamless mouse movements between host and guest. Without them as you've noticed to release your mouse you need to hit <ctrl> <alt>.

Check Edit--Preferences, I believe there are some mouse options there, other then that, I don't know of any special buttons that will allow this to work consistently. Like I said installing the VMware Guest Tools is your best bet for resolution.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

As Troy says, without VMtools being installed the default behaviour is to capture the mouse. verify that you have the three squares in the icon bar of the running XP Guest.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Harri84
Contributor
Contributor

Prblem solved itself when I restarted the VM, LOL :smileylaugh:

rob_oli
Contributor
Contributor

A late response however I had the same issue today but only with one vm machine win7 here is how you can lock and unlock the mouse using windows settings:

Found it!

Control panel, Mouse, Pointer options, Display pointer trail, Click box to lock and unclick to release.

I hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

another is to use the key combinations Ctrl & Alt

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
wsh2
Contributor
Contributor

I am sitting here crying with utter joy out of pent up frustration..

To release the Mouse Cursor, go to "Control Panel" -> "Mouse" -> "Pointer Options" and uncheck (turn-off) "Display Pointer Trails".

Finally, the agony is over!

rob_oli, YOU are a GENIUS!.. I can NOT thank you enough!

0 Kudos
rob_oli
Contributor
Contributor

Wsh2,

You are very welcome. I know your pain. Addittionally I thought I should put the instructions up for two other purposes. 1. because these blogs have helped me in the past and 2. in case I needed the ansewer in two years time when I forgot how I fixed it!

CTRL + Alt + A was definately not an acceptable answer.

Glad I could help.

0 Kudos
wsh2
Contributor
Contributor

Good points rob_oli.. {smile}

Let's add some search words to try and assist in the future:

Windows Mouse Cursor Grab Ungrab Lock Unlock Integration

"Cursor Integration" "Cursor Grab" "Cursor Ungrab" "Cursor Lock" "Cursor Unlock"

"Mouse Integration" "Mouse Grab" "Mouse Ungrab" "Mouse Lock" "Mouse Unlock"

Solution Above

0 Kudos
kittenMasher
Contributor
Contributor

Wow.  I have searched over and over again for a solution for this over the past two years and just read this and fixed the problem on the VM machine I use the MOST.  Thanks so simple.

0 Kudos
wood_
Contributor
Contributor

perhaps helpful: as soon as the VMs mouse pointer size is changed, the pointer is trapped inside the machine. Setting it back to default size helps.

0 Kudos
FunkyMonk777
Contributor
Contributor

To add to this answer:

Once you have launched your VM, in the VM window, to the right of "File" and "View" on the menu bar click "VM" > "Guest" > "Install/Upgrade VMware Tools"

The issue should be resolved and you should no longer experience the cursor being "trapped" in the VM window.

0 Kudos
JTambro
Contributor
Contributor

@Harri84 - Restarting the VM where the mouse was getting stuck also fixed it for me, thank you!

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I replied to this topic within the last 20 minutes of typing this, only to find that the post didn't "take." Not sure what happened, but I'm not going to recreate the detailed reply ... hopefully it's on moderation or something and will return.

I encountered the same issue with workstation 15.5 after running the Windows 10 RDP client inside the VM.

It appears that the root cause of the issue was that I had changed the pointer size from the default smallest setting to something I can actually see with my decrepit late-middle-aged eyes.

While I've regained the convenience of freely moving my mouse cursor from the client desktop to the host, I've lost the ability to locate it quickly.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@DodgeDeBoulet wrote:

While I've regained the convenience of freely moving my mouse cursor from the client desktop to the host, I've lost the ability to locate it quickly.

In case you didn't know, there is a setting in the mouse properties which displays an animation around the mouse pointer when you press and release the Ctrl button.  It's under Pointer Options in the Mouse Properties window (which appears with the settings menu option Additional Mouse Options).

0 Kudos
DodgeDeBoulet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you. In the host OS I use a feature provided by PowerToys which dims the screen and spotlights the mouse cursor when you double-tap the control key. I didn't realize there was a separate option in the control panel mouse settings.

That helps, and I'm grateful. I still wish I could use a larger mouse pointer though ...

0 Kudos
plcman37
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! Great help

0 Kudos