VMware Communities
strictlymike
Contributor
Contributor

monitor.debugOnStartGuest32 Access Violation

Hello,

I am having trouble with the debug stub.  I installed VMware Workstation 7.1.4 on a 64-bit Windows 7 host, and am successfully using the 32-bit guests I created using VMware WS 6.5.

When I try to use the debug stub to halt execution before the BIOS executes, VMware incurs an Access Violation.  I tried creating a new VM on this new host, in case there was a problem using my WS 6.5 guests, but the problem recurred.  Here is how I configured my .vmx file in each case:

debugStub.listen.guest32 = "TRUE"
debugStub.listen.guest64 = "TRUE"

debugStub.listen.guest32.remote = "TRUE"

debugStub.listen.guest64.remote = "TRUE"
monitor.debugOnStartGuest32 = "TRUE"
monitor.debugOnStartGuest64 = "TRUE"

I've never seen debugOnStartGuest64 documented, but I extrapolated that it might exist based on all the other *64 configuration flags I've read about.  I tried this configuration three different ways: (1) as shown above, (2) with only the *32 flags enabled, and (3) with only the *64 flags enabled.  When I enable only the *32 configuration entries, the Access Violation persists.  When I enable only the *64 configuration flags, the Access Violation does not occur, but VMware also does not suspend execution and wait for me to connect.  I guess there is no such flag as debugOnStartGuest64.

I find that debugOnStartGuest32 is the flag that seems to precipitate the Access Violation, because when I disable it, everything else works fine.

Attached is the Access Violation dialog VMware displays when I try using debugOnStartGuest32, as well as the ASSERT dialog VMware displayed when I enabled Full Debug in the guest advanced options.  The assert dialog seems like it would be the most informative for a VMware support engineer.  I also have collected the dump info in case someone from VMware is able to look into this.

Thanks in advance for any hints or assistance.

-M.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
strictlymike
Contributor
Contributor

More info: I tried enabling only debugStub.listen.guest32.remote and monitor.debugOnStartGuest32, since I know these worked for me in VMware WS 6.5 on my 32-bit Windows Vista host.  No luck.

0 Kudos