VMware Communities
RobertGloverJr
Contributor
Contributor

lost Gutsy network after applying gutsy updates as vmware guest under VM Workstation 6.02

I installed Gutsy on a Dell 1420n using the DELL provided Gutsy ISO (that has driver fixes for DELL) and then installed a licensed copy of VMware Workstation 6.02 under it. Then I installed Gutsy as a guest using the official Gutsy install CD from Ubuntu (not the DELL Gutsy ISO).

The guest Gutsy worked fine and the networking was working okay. (I used the "NAT" vmware network config option). I could use Firefix to surf the net okay.

I installed the VMWare tools into the Gutsy guest and they installed correctly and the network still worked.

Then I downloaded and installed all the Gutsy updates using the Gutsy Update Manager. It said the updates were all applied perfectly.

It then said I should re-boot Gutsy.

When Gutsy (the guest) came back up I had lost all networking. Running "ifconfig" shows only "lo" (127.0.0.l) and nothing else:

dgg2@rdgg2-desktop:~$ ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0C:29:89:34:22

inet addr:192.168.216.129 Bcast:192.168.216.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:fe89:3422/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:859 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:549 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:1158480 (1.1 MB) TX bytes:50663 (49.4 KB)

Interrupt:16 Base address:0x2000

I made another guest machine and installed Gutsy all over again from scratch and the same thing happened. I had a NAT network okay. I applied VMWare tools and I still had a NAT network okay. Then I applied the Gutsy updates and my network disappeared.

So I made another guest machine and installed Gutsy and the VMWare tools but did not install the Gutsy updates-- so the NAT network continues to work fine. Here is what it looks like in that guest Gutsy where the network is okay

:guest: UbuntuGutsy3 user=rdgg3 pw=333333

interface: Wired Ethernet (eth0)

speed: unknown

driver: pcnet32

ip address: 192.168.216.130

broadcast address: 192.168.216.255

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

default route: 192.168.216.2

Primary dns: 192.168.216.2

secondary dns: 0.0.0.0

hardware Address: 00:0C:29:C3:D3:41

Can someone provide step by step instructions on how to get "eth0" (and my network) back please. I did not expect an update to Ubuntu Gutsy to make the network stop working. I cannot get anymore Ubuntu Gutsy updates now because I don't have a network anymore.

I tried the advice from a poster elsewhere of using a static IP address but it does not work or else I don't know how to do it correctly. I tried to do it in the "...manual configuration" option of the Guest Gutsy network application that has an icon on the top right in the Gutsy GUI.

This is a really big disappointment because I have such great plans to use Gutsy in VMWare but I'm stopped dead in the water over this. It doesn't seem fair that the Gutsy team would send an update that breaks Gutsy networking under Vmware. Why did they do that?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Im guessing the update included a kernel change? Did you rerun the config tools?

0 Kudos
RobertGloverJr
Contributor
Contributor

That never occured to me. I'll take your advice when I get home tonight and re-install the VMWARE workstation 6.02 tools into the Guest Gutsy. Thank you for the idea. As for what the Gutsy updates did, Ubuntu maintenance is designed (I think-- I'm a newbie) to be run as a black box without knowing what it actually does. All I know is that I clicked "get all updates" and then "apply all updates". It said there were no errors and that I should reboot. After that there was no network, specifically no eth0.

0 Kudos
RobertGloverJr
Contributor
Contributor

My network in the Gutsy guest is working again now. I un-installed VMware Tools and then re-installed Vmware tools.

The network then worked again after I re-booted

Thank you for the help. Cheers.

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should have only needed to redo the vmware-config-tools.pl part Smiley Happy

0 Kudos