VMware Communities
JBHox
Contributor
Contributor

.lck file deletion

Is it it normal for .lck files to be automatically deleted when using OneDrive? I am receiving pop-up notices from OneDrive telling me MXXXX.lck file has been deleted and is recoverable within 30 days in the OneDrive Recycle Bin. I did not manually delete them. I have been using VMWare Workstation Pro for about 2 years and this just started. There have been at least 6 file deletions of .lck files in the last two uses. 

Host Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Guest Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So you are storing the folder and files of a VM in your OneDrive folder?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Could be a conflicting Onedrive issue when items are removed from all your synced devices.

Which Onedrive and Workstation version do you use? Afaik the cloud storage product Onedrive got a new x64 client with a per-machine installation option.

Do you use VMware Workstation with shared folder?

Did you separate the working directory to a non-Onedrive Sync location and the virtual machine directory in VMware Workstation?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

AFAIK OneDrive is not compatible with virtual machines. If you depend on OneDrive to save your VM's then I recommend you to make additional backups.

For example see this thread:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/VM-disk-gets-corrupted-randomly-Buffer-I-O-...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

@scott28tt Are there additional Workstation information to https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80807?

Something like this would be nice.

Workstation VM aware 
cloud storage vendor product     | Host OS Windows 10 Pro 1)   | [...]
                                                    | 20H2 | 2004 | 1909  | [...]
Microsoft Onedrive Personal   2)  |  n/y    |   n/y  |    n/y
Microsoft Onedrive f. Business 2)|  n/y    |   n/y  |    n/y
[...]

1)  Install Workstation VMs to a non-Onedrive folder. Use an additional backup software.
2)  32bit Onedrive release xy and above: individual files cannot exceed 10GB in size, 64bit Onedrive release xy and above: file upload size restriction 250GB
[...]

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@DCasota 

Not sure why you're asking me - I might be a VMware employee but have no special connections or influence over Workstation KB articles.

And I would have asked the same about using Google Drive, DropBox, iCloud Drive, or any other file sync tool - not just OneDrive...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I dont know if there is an official warning from VMware about OneDrive.

But there sure is an unofficial community-based alert that says:

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER TO STORE VMS AND VMDKS ON COMPRESSED NTFS DIRECTORIES

DO NOT STORE VMS AND VMDKS ON NTFS-VOLUMES THAT HAVE DIRECTORIES THAT ARE SYNCED TO ONE-DRIVE

WE  Will UPDATE THIS WARNING WHEN THE SITUATION JUSTIFIES IT - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!

Ulli

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

@continuum good advise. In the same, safety first manner, Workstation users must be informed automatically on each product start about interoperability issues. VMware product employees on this?

It should not be necessary to reach out to the community because yet another cloud storage interoperability issue. Better put it clear and in big red letters inside Workstation product itself.

btw. Writing this from a pc with successfully using Workstation 9 on Windows 10 Home 21H1 with active Onedrive, most for tests on Photon OS virtual machine in a non-Onedrive folder. It just works, and works, and works.

0 Kudos