VMware Communities
austintx
Contributor
Contributor

kernel panic booting copied Redhat 6

Hi,

I have a new (updated) 32 bit Fedora 7 host machine. I have just installed VMWare workstation 6.0.1-55017 from rpm. The uname -a from the host machine is:

Linux india 2.6.22.9-91.fc7 #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 23:10:59 EDT 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

I am attempting to clone an existing Redhat 6.1 machine (32 bit) into a new VMWare image. The uname -a on the machine I am trying to clone is:

Linux linux15 2.2.12-20 #1 Mon Sep 27 10:25:54 EDT 1999 i686 unknown

The way I cloned the Redhat 6.1 into the VMWare, was that I created a new virtual machine with a harddrive large enough ( 80 GB), booted that virtual machine from a knoppix .iso image, fdisk'd and formatted the virtual harddrive, mounted it, copied the existing Redhat 6 machine to it via rsync over the network, cleaned the new /proc and edited /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf, ran a chroot to the new harddrive and did "lilo" to re-install it to the virtual harddrive. Then I shutdown out of knoppix, disconnected the virtual CDROM from the knoppix .iso file, and tried to boot the new VM.

I have done this method of cloning linuxes before.

It almost works, in that I get a lilo prompt and it starts showing messages. Then it halts:

====

VFS: mounted root filesystem readonly.

change_root: old root has d_count=1

Trying to umount old root . . . okay.

Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed

Warning: unable to open an initial console.

Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

====

I tried editing the lilo.conf to add the init=/sbin/init option, and re-running lilo, that changed nothing. I also tried re-making the initrd in case it didn't have a module to read the harddisk, and that also changed nothing.

Any ideas ?

I attached my vmware.log file and the .vmx file.

--Rob

0 Kudos
0 Replies