VMware Communities
fishnet37222
Contributor
Contributor

kernel modules fail to build with kernel version 5.7.7

I tried to install VMWare Workstation Pro 15.6.6 on Fedora 32 running kernel version 5.7.7.  I saw some error messages in the terminal when I ran the installer but they were very cryptic and didn't really explain what went wrong.  When I tried to launch the application, I got the error in the image below.

workstation-error.png

I clicked "Install" and after a few seconds I got another error dialog:

workstation-error-2.png

I've attached the log file in case it helps.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sounds very similar to this thread: Required an update for new kernel linux 5.7.6 about vmmon and vmnet kernel modules

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
fishnet37222
Contributor
Contributor

There's a solution posted on this thread (kernel 5.7.6 build failure), but there's no explanation of how to apply the solution.

0 Kudos
aceman03
Contributor
Contributor

I did the following steps to get this to work for me on Fedora 32 workstation.

1. Switch to root
  2. Set VMWare Workstation Pro 15.5.6 to executable - chmod +x VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.6-16341506.x86_64.bundle
  3. Launch the VMWare Workstation Pro 15.5.6 installer - ./VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.6-16341506.x86_64.bundle
  4. Reboot
  5. Switch to root
  6. Downloaded the following release - wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/archive/w15.5.6-k5.7.tar.gz
  7. Extracted the Tarball - tar xvf w15.5.7-k5.7.tar.gz
  8. In the extracted directory, execute make
  9. After make finishes, execute make install
  10. Reboot
  11. Login as normal user and open up VMWare Workstation Pro
  12. Enjoy!
0 Kudos