VMware Communities
alexopth1512
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

kernel 5.7.6 build failure

kernel modules won't build after upgrade to kernel 5.7.6-201.fc32.x86_64 in fedora

[CODE]

[theodore@teras vmmon-only]$ make

Using kernel build system.

make -C /lib/modules/5.7.6-201.fc32.x86_64/build/include/.. M=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. \

MODULEBUILDDIR= modules

make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/kernels/5.7.6-201.fc32.x86_64'

CC [M]  /home/theodore/Downloads/vmware1/vmware-vmx/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o

/home/theodore/Downloads/vmware1/vmware-vmx/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:668:1: warning: ‘always_inline’ function might not be inlinable [-Wattributes]

668 | LinuxDriverSyncReadTSCs(uint64 *delta) // OUT: TSC max - TSC min

| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

/home/theodore/Downloads/vmware1/vmware-vmx/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o: warning: objtool: .text.__x86_indirect_thunk_rax+0x0: unsupported intra-function call

/home/theodore/Downloads/vmware1/vmware-vmx/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o: warning: objtool: If this is a retpoline, please patch it in with alternatives and annotate it with ANNOTATE_NOSPEC_ALTERNATIVE.

make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:267: /home/theodore/Downloads/vmware1/vmware-vmx/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 255

make[2]: *** Deleting file '/home/theodore/Downloads/vmware1/vmware-vmx/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o'

make[1]: *** [Makefile:1732: /home/theodore/Downloads/vmware1/vmware-vmx/lib/modules/source/vmmon-only] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kernels/5.7.6-201.fc32.x86_64'

make: *** [Makefile:117: vmmon.ko] Error 2

[theodore@teras vmmon-only]$

[/CODE]

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Looks like the issue addressed by this patch: https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/commit/992ae1d5a16e

Some people reported that these objtool warnings may result in failed build on some systems.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

you must specify the version of vmware.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Which VMware product does this relate to?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
alexopth1512
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry my bad

VMWare workstation 15.5.6 build 16341506 (latest)

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Thread moved to the Workstation Pro area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Looks like the issue addressed by this patch: https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/commit/992ae1d5a16e

Some people reported that these objtool warnings may result in failed build on some systems.

0 Kudos
alexopth1512
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes that's it. Much thanx. It should be corrected in next build I guess...

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hard to say, the issue has existed since Workstation 15.5.0, i.e. for more than 9 months. But perhaps now when it's not only a warning but a build failure on a released versioned distribution, VMware might finally do something about it.

0 Kudos
AnandKulkarniSG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guys kindly guide...

- How do i use the Makefile provided by patch at this github link : https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules

- Please provide an article or link to some source of steps to follow.

- Currently all i do is run this : vmware-modconfig --console --install-all , And it blows up as described under this issue : VMWare Workstation 15.5.6 , 64 bit, Fedora 31 , Kernel 5.7.7-100.fc31.x86_64 modules fail to compile...

0 Kudos
aceman03
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did the following steps to get this to work for me on Fedora 32 workstation.

1. Switch to root
  2. Set VMWare Workstation Pro 15.5.6 to executable - chmod +x VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.6-16341506.x86_64.bundle
  3. Launch the VMWare Workstation Pro 15.5.6 installer - ./VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.6-16341506.x86_64.bundle
  4. Reboot
  5. Switch to root
  6. Downloaded the following release - wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/archive/w15.5.6-k5.7.tar.gz
  7. Extracted the Tarball - tar xvf w15.5.7-k5.7.tar.gz
  8. In the extracted directory, execute make
  9. After make finishes, execute make install
  10. Reboot
  11. Login as normal user and open up VMWare Workstation Pro
  12. Enjoy!
0 Kudos
Recluce
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A big thank you to aceman03. His instructions worked like a charm (Linux Kernel 5.7.10), even though I am not on Fedora, but on Artix Linux. Artix is an OpenRC based Linux distribution based on Arch Linux. This shows that there are no specific dependencies on Fedora or systemd, so these instructions should pretty much work for any Linux distro

0 Kudos
rBlr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'd like to use VMPlayer 15.5.1-15018445

what patch file I need to download to compile VMWare modules?

0 Kudos
aceman03
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did notice that if you are using the latest VMWare Workstation bundle....you could have problems as well if you do further kernel updates.

I did some updates, and a reboot.  After getting logged in, I tried to open VMWare Workstation that again asked me to compile the modules again.

Needless to say, I tried to perform the same steps to fix THIS issue, but they did not work as the "make install" complained about my kernel verison --- appeared newer now.

Previously, it was 5.7.10-201 and now its 5.7.11-200.  (easy check of your kernel version - hostnamectl)

Steps to fix with a newer, updated kernel

1. git clone https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules.git
  2. git checkout workstation-15.5.6
  3. Execute make
  4. After make finishes, switch to root
  5. execute make install
  6. Reboot
  7. Login as normal user and open up VMWare Workstation Pro
  8. Enjoy!
0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

1. There is no need to uninstall Workstation and install it back.

2. You don't need to (and rather should not) be root to run "git clone", "git checkout" and "make", you only need it for "make install" so step 7 should rather belong between 10 and 11.

0 Kudos
aceman03
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, youre right.  I just documented my steps as I did them and was concerned it may not have been as clean.

Thanks for the corrections, I updated my post with the simplified steps.

0 Kudos