VMware Communities
serge68
Contributor
Contributor

is it possible to run MAC OS. X in vmware?

hello,

the question is probably many time asked...it's my turn now.

I discovered that there are many people who use macs so I have to know how mac os works but I don't have mac computer (and i am not going to have one for that matter).

So can I run mac os in vmware? What can be a solution?

Thank you

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Because it is illegal to install Mac OS onto a non-Apple computer, we can't give any support for this question. The EULA states that Mac OS only can be installed on Apple hardware. Installation on other hardware is prohibited conform the EULA.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

In addition, only OSX Server 10.5 and later are allowed to be run in a virtual machine. So not only do you need Mac hardware, you need the server version of OSX, not the desktop version.

0 Kudos
rlsx
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it is possible.

See the following forum:

XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

URL removed - Do not post links to unlawful web sites on this forum.

Message was edited by: tom howarth - Moderator VMTN Communities Forum

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, it is possible.

Many things are possible. The point of the previous posts was to inform that running OSX on non Apple hardware is illegal and only certain versions of OSX are allowed to be virtualized on Apple hardware. So discussion of said topic cannot be continued here. And it is up to the morals and conscious of the user to decide whether to pursue such action.

Obviously don't expect support for such endeavors and do expect to have to deal with many glitches along the way, which is exactly the opposite of the design philosophies of Apple for OSX: to create the best experience for the end user as possible.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I have seen a Mac-VM on Workstation - it may make sense for learning the OS but in the case I saw it is completely useless for anything productive - the performance was awful

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
rlsx
Contributor
Contributor

The procedure explained in the XXXXXXXXXX forum linked above gives very decent performance. Both on Worksation 6.5 (for Leopard) and WS 7.0 (for Snow Leopard).

Just give the VM enough memory.

Some visual effects (Quartz?) aren't supported, though, for lack of an adequate video driver. That is still a work in progress...

Message was edited by: tom howarth User Community Moderator to remove name of forum.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Whether OS-X runs under Workstation is irrelevant, the Apple EULA strictly forbids the installation of the OS on any hardware other than Apple. in fact OS-X with the exception of OS-X Server has no virtualisation rights what so ever.

The fact is to be legal you need Apple Hardware. you will not find any information if/ or how on this site.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
rlsx
Contributor
Contributor

After having censored my post, you claim:

"Whether OS-X runs under Workstation is irrelevant, the Apple EULA

strictly forbids the installation of the OS on any hardware other than

Apple."

1 - You seem to have a complete lack of curiosity to find out whether something (desirable, and not criminal) is technically feasible. You won't get very far with this mindset.

2 - The Apple EULA, like any other, may or may not be legally enforceable, in many venues.

• In the US (where I don't live) at least one company is selling non-Apple hardware running legally acquired OSX licences. Apple hasn't been able, yet, to shut it down.

• In Germany, the EULA has been considered by the courts to be non-binding. Non-Apple hardware is freely sold with OSX installed (perhaps a whole country of thieves and criminals?)

Please wake up!

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Your statements are irrelevant and show a remarkable lack of common sense, Just because something can be done does not mean it should. The terms and conditions that you signed up to when you registered for this forum strictly state that the posting of unlawful practices in forbidden, VMware take a very strict line on this.

You question my Mindset and curiosity, I question your legality and morals, whether or not I am curious about running Mac on VMware is not the point in this discussion, What is, is the fact that you posted a link to a site that according to Apples EULA show how to create an illegal and therefore pirtated version of OS-X. The fact is what you posted is against the T & C's this forums,. T & C's that you signed up to.

Also more to the point this forum is hosted in the US and is subject to the laws of that country. not Germany Russia or any other country with slightly dubious stances on "Copywrite and Trademark"

You have moved this in to the public arena, I was quite content to deal with it by removing the link, sending you a private message regarding the breach and then considering the matter closed.

As to your comment that I will not get far, I am not even going to comment on that. somebody with 3 posts 2 of which are of questionable status and the latter a whing should at least think before he questions the capabilities of a senior member of the forum.

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]".

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
maflynn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you want to run OSX, get a mac. Vmware offers a great package called fusion for the mac to run your other environments under osx, so you get the best of both worlds.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

• In the US (where I don't live) at least one company is selling non-Apple hardware running legally acquired OSX licences. Apple hasn't been able, yet, to shut it down.

I suggest you Google and get your info correct before posting in the future. The U,S, courts have already ruled in Apple's favor and deemed that company to be selling illegally modified versions of OSX. How OSX was obtained is moot. OSX was illegally modified in order to run on non-Apple hardware. The restriction to have OSX only run on Apple hardware was found by the courts to NOIT be overly restrictive, thus is legal and allowed.

The company has filed for bankruptcy so it is effectively shut down from selling what you pose as an example.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/nov/14/apple-psystar-cloning-licence-judges-ruling

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/11/14/apple-wins-clone-suit/

0 Kudos