VMware Communities
ankitjain6
Contributor
Contributor

internet connectin between host and guest machine

Hello,

i am using vmware workstation. I have windows 7 on base machine and linux (rhel5) inside virtual machine.

Internet is connected in base (windows 7) machine.

I want to share this internet with guest (linux) machine. i configure NAT but not working kindly, suggest me?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Generally speaking if the Host has Internet/Network Connectivity then a Guest using NAT should just work however when it doesn't, just saying it doesn't and not providing any substantive technical data to analyze makes it difficult to provide solutions based on the facts.

How, explicitly and specifically, is the Host connected to the Internet/Network?

Ethernet, WiFi, with/without VPN, connected to a Router, Switch or directly to an ISP Gateway Device, etc.?

Is the Network Adapter in the Guest connected in its Settings and within the Guest OS?

How are the Network Adapters configured?...

From Windows in a Command Prompt use the following command...

ipconfig /all > host_ipconfig.txt

Substitute guest_ for host_ as applicable.

From Linux in a Terminal use the following command...

ifconfig -a > guest_ipconfig.txt

Substitute host_ for guest_ as applicable.

Archive (compress) the *_ipconfig.txt files along with the .vmx configuration file and vmware*.log files for the Virtual Machine found in the Folder that contains the files that comprise the Virtual Machine and attach the .zip file to a reply post.

0 Kudos
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert

does the vmware NAT service is started in the host OS.... ? does the vm got an IP from the vmware DHCP service? can you try to use the bridged network.

also refer my blog for the workstation networking - http://pibytes.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/vmware-workstation-networking-basics/

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
ankitjain6
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks friends i got this by enabling NAT with VMnet2 adaptor.

0 Kudos