VMware Communities
scottmlew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

installing Intel NIC drivers

I am trying to get the latest Intel driver package installed on a Win10 VM to do some testing with the VLAN feature. However, the installer reports that there is no Intel NIC installed, despite it the vNIC being identified as an 82574L. Anyone know of a workaround?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What is the virtual NIC type in the VM hardware? (you may need to look in the VMX file to confirm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scottmlew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure how your query for additional info got marked as the correct answer, or where my reply to your message went.

But anyways, it shows in the vmx as e1000e, as I'd expect.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not sure how your query for additional info got marked as the correct answer, or where my reply to your message went.

No idea.

But anyways, it shows in the vmx as e1000e, as I'd expect.

What does Device Manager (in the guest OS) show regarding network adapters?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scottmlew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Device Manager shows it as 82574L.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

That makes no sense.  That is not one of the network adapters emulated by VMware - therefore it is not an active NIC.  How did you create this VM?

0 Kudos
scottmlew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VM was created in the standard way, through the GUI. And I'm not sure why you say that adapter isn't emulated by VMware -- it's an E1000e.

0 Kudos
PreferredComm23
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get a solution to this ?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

#metoo maybe popular in twitter - here I would rather suggest to use #thats-my-vmx or #here-is-my-log
or if you are really cool maybe even #this-is-my-problem

Ulli

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert

VMWare's E1000e NIC is 82574L. Note that Intel's drivers won't install on this NIC if you're running Windows 10 (even on a physical computer with 82574L), so you can't use multiple VLANs with it.

0 Kudos