VMware Communities
aurelsandu
Contributor
Contributor

installation problem

I installed vmware workstation 6.5 on vindows xp sp2 and I want to install Oracle Linux Enterprise as a guest - virtual machine . Installation kit for this software consist in 5 cds . Howto do with this large installation kit? I mapped cd of vm to the first iso file from installation kit . I added more cds and mapped to the iso files of installation kit . But it ask me for cd number 5 and I do not answear ...

Thanks in advance,

Aurel

0 Kudos
5 Replies
poorem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

As you are asked for each CD by the installation for Oracle you need to change your VM's drive to point to the correct ISO file. What happenned when the Oracle installer asked for CD 5?

Michael

aurelsandu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I tried the second time installation and I got the same results . I have five .iso files on host file system and I started installation having set in wmvare enviroment, in CD/DVD (IDE) , path to the first (from five) iso files . Instalation went fine until installer of virtual machine asked me for the fourth disk . Then I go out from installer enviroment and I go in vmware environment , I made right clik on the name of virtual machine and I went to the settings and I changed the name of the iso file to the one asked . Then I asked to the installer to continue , it give me this message "Unable to access CDROM" . I used .iso files because I did not want to burn these files on devices . Can someone tell me what I made wrong?

Many thanks,

Aurel

0 Kudos
poorem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Aurel,

It does not sound like you have done anything wrong. Have you tried downloading CD 4 again. It could be corrupt.

Michael

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

guests sometimes do not notice if you change iso-files

most of the times this trick works:

start install with iso-file 1

when guest asks to change CDs give focus to the host

in the host right click CD-icon in tray area of Workstation - say DISCONNECT

give back focus to the guest - pretend everything is fine and tell the guest that you have changed CDs

guest is not stupid and notices that you are cheating - it will complain

give focus to the host and this time change to iso-file 2 and make sure it is connected

give focus to the guest and answer the complaining message

proceed using the same pattern for every further CD

if this really does not work - check md5sum of the iso

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
aurelsandu
Contributor
Contributor

Hell guys,

I have made installation of Oracle Enterprice Linux ! Continuum has some right , after I've changed the path that point to the iso files I must say CONNECT on icon tray . In that way installer found out that CD has changed . Thanks again,

Aurel

0 Kudos