VMware Communities
Chris_G33
Contributor
Contributor

installation of WMWare 6.0.3 hangs on 'installing NAT...'

I am unable to install the VM ware Workstation 6.0.3 on Win XP!

I have had installed version 6.0.1 It was removed before installing 6.0.3. but the installation hangs at ''installing NAT...'.

Killing the installation or rebooting the machine was not possible. (did not work), task bar was blocked.

I had to kill all processes till it rebooted itself.

VMWare did run, but starting a VM results in an error (half german, half english): unable open kernel devoce
.\vmx86.

Then: why is there no option in the installer to repair an installation?

Why does now the uninstaller not work?

Why is it always with VMWare such problematic to install a new release? Each time I have big problems with that, because it does not work properly or at all.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sbarnhart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What NIC do you have in your system? I had WS 6.01 bluescreen a fresh XP Pro install on a new quad-core system with an on-board RealTek NIC, at the "Installing NAT..." portion. It got just installed enough, too, to leave the system unbootable.

I ditched the RealTek NIC for an Intel pro/1000 and disabled the RealTek NIC in the BIOS and my problem went away.

0 Kudos
Chris_G33
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have a RealTek device. I "uninstalled" VMware with switch /c and then I could install it sucessfully.

But now I have problems with some VMs: the VMs with Vista in it now takes minutes to start instead if 15 sec (with VMware 6.0.1).

0 Kudos
sbarnhart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After some other bad experiences with another, different RealTek NIC under FreeBSD I've decided that RealTek NICs may be fine for web browsing office drones, but the hardware and software quality pretty much is awful and anything "serious" needs a NIC upgrade. I've already bought 4 Intel Pro/1000s for my various systems and weird NIC problems and performance issues have gone away completely.

0 Kudos