VMware Communities
Shurafa
Contributor
Contributor

iTunes VLC iPhone and Windows 7 Sluggish Performance Freezing

Host Windows 7 Guest Windows 7 Vmware Workstation 7(Previously 6.5)

Workstation Specs:

Antec TruePower 550 Watt Power Supply

Gigabyte P35-DS3R

Intel Core2 Duo 6750

4 Hard drives (1 for OS, 1 for VMs, 1 for Data, 1 for Backup)

Geforce 8800GT

Dell 2405FPW 24” LCD

Dell 2005FPW 20” LCD

4 x 2GB RAM

DVD Drive

Onboard Optical Sound

Sony STR-DE545 500 Watt Receiver

Bose five speaker Surround Sound

Several Issues:

1. iTunes periodically freezes for between 5 seconds and 1 minute. I have tried stopping all processes other than iTunes and it still freezes. There is very little IO activity and the CPU utilization is low. However when I go to the rescourse monitor it shows itunes.exe as red when i right click on the process and click analyze wait chain it shows several threads "waiting to finish network 1/0".

I have tried both VMWare workstation 6.5 as well as 7. I have tried Itunes 32 and 64 9.0. I have also tried pointing my itunes library to
hostworksation as well as used shared folders.

2. VLC Chokes when playing 1080P Video (to a much lesser extent 720P as well). The CPU utilization goes to 100% and the video is unplayable. This is something that has improved greatly in VMW7 as I can now typically play 720P video which used to be impossible. Any tips to allow playing of 1080P video as well making 720P better? (Videos works perfectly when played on the Guest OS).

3. My iPhone freezes during sync with iTunes. The backup process start properly but seems to slow down until it seems to stop. The rescourse monitor does not show much disk activity after the backup reaches between 30-70%.

Any assistance with any/all of these would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
0 Replies