VMware Communities
dimm0k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

iPod under VMWare 6

From what I understand the iPod is functional under VMWare 6 when I have Linux as host and Windows XP as guest, provided that the patch mentioned in previous messages has been applied to the kernel AND the usb_storage module is loaded after inserting the iPod. Does anyone know of any ways around my dilemma if my current Linux system uses USB drives for certain parts of the system that they're loaded during startup?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dimm0k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm prepared to patch the kernel if possible/needed so that usb_storage doesn't recognize the iPod so that it can be used under VMWare.

0 Kudos
dimm0k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tried creating a udev rule to ignore the iPod as follows:

\# Apple iPod

BUS=="usb", SYSFS\{manufacturer}=="Apple", SYSFS\{product}=="iPod", KERNEL=="sd?2", SYMLINK="ipod", OPTIONS="ignore_device"

still nothing. Anyone??

0 Kudos
Hessberger
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Neben
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think the udev rule will at best keep the usb-storage module from loading when the iPod is connected, but I don't think it will stop usb-storage from trying to use the iPod once usb-storage is loaded. You'll probably have to change something in the usb-storage kernel module to solve this. Looking at the source, it looks like adding a specific check for your iPod's VID and PID to storage_probe() in drivers/usb/storage/usb.c like this might work:

if ((id->idVendor == 0x05ac) && (id->idProduct == 0x120x)) {

printk(KERN_WARNING USB_STORAGE

"my iPod detected, not loading usb-storage");

return -ENODEV;

}

http://lxr.linux.no/source/drivers/usb/storage/usb.c#L952

Note: Change the x to match the PID of your iPod. I have no idea if this code will work, but it's probably worth a try.

0 Kudos