VMware Communities
gogozs
Contributor
Contributor

i can not download vmware tools

whenever I tried to go 'vm' and 'install vmware tools', it gives me this message:

Installing the VMware Tools package will greatly enhance graphics and mouse performance in your virtual machine.

WARNING: You cannot install the VMware Tools package until the guest operating system is running. If your guest operating system is not running, choose Cancel and install the VMware Tools package later.

when i click install, it takes no action but if i go 'vm' it show 'cancel install tools' instead of 'install vmware tools'

nothing happens and still not installed tools shows on th left bottom corner even i wait for to download.

i'm only using wireless internet so is it the problem?? please help asap

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What guest OS are you trying to install the Tools into? All the menu selection does is mount the appropriate ISO image to your guest's CD-ROM drive. You must install the package inside the guest yourself. Refer to the User Manual-->Installing VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
gogozs
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using 'BackTrack as guest OS, I think I have problem on mount with the program. I tried about 3days non-stop working on the project but nothing happend. I have laptop and I'm ONLY using wireless connection. Is that a problem or what?

Please respond ASAP

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I don't know what "BackTrack" is - never heard of it. Is it a Linux distro? What did you select as your GuestOS when you created your VM?

Your network connection has no relevance here whatsoever. The VMware Tools installation packages are already on your host's hard drive - in the form of 5 .ISO files located in the VMware Workstation folder ("C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation" usually). And all the Workstation menu option VM-->Install VMware Tools performs is the mounting of the appropriate iso image (based on what GuestOS you told it you were using) to the guest's CD-ROM drive. YOU must manually install the tools inside your guest. Please read the user manual, section titled "Installing VMware Tools", for detailed steps.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Rob - backtrack is a Slackware based Linux-liveCD - you should have one too. I always have a Helix and a Backtrack in my pocket whenever I leave the house Smiley Wink

Installing vmware-tools to it feels like indoor cabrio driving - if you know what | mean Smiley Wink

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
alignedcom
Contributor
Contributor

Still seeing this problem in 2021. 

0 Kudos