VMware Communities
tear007
Contributor
Contributor

how to use accelerate 3d graphics in virtual machine without vmtools??

how to use accelerate 3d graphics in virtual machine without vmtools??

i want to use vmware in game. but several games blocked vm ware. so i can't use vm tools....    OTL..

how can i use accelerate 3d graphics??

originally , use vmware without vm tools. but , game patched . and error occured.      

1.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Simple answer - you cannot.  The VMware Tools contain the video card driver for the VMware SVGA video adapter.  It is required for 3d/accelerated graphics.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

If the engineers of the game have done a good job there is no way to cheat.

If they were lazy you may be able to cheat with some special vmx-parameters.

You can find those here in the forum ....

But if you have a post here that links those parameters to the game that you want to use the next update of that game will close that gap.

So if you are clever you research this on your own and keep a low profile ...

0 Kudos
VMWEnthusiast
Contributor
Contributor

Hey @continuum would you please be a bit more specific, this would also be usefull information to me.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

What do you want to acchieve ??? - please create a new post and explain.

Ulli

0 Kudos
VMWEnthusiast
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response @continuum , I would like to exactly do what the OP of this thread was trying to do, so I don't really see a point in opening a new thread. I am trying to run a game on vmware workstation. Is there any way I can run the application, without installing vmware tools? I basically want to use the "Accelerate 3d Graphics" setting, without installing VMWare tools.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

@VMWEnthusiast wrote:

Thanks for the quick response @continuum , I would like to exactly do what the OP of this thread was trying to do, so I don't really see a point in opening a new thread. I am trying to run a game on vmware workstation. Is there any way I can run the application, without installing vmware tools? I basically want to use the "Accelerate 3d Graphics" setting, without installing VMWare tools.

And the answer is the same... you CANNOT.  If you do not install the VMware Tools, then the emulated video card will not have a device driver installed for it, and will be treated as a generic SVGA video card with no 3D capabilities.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I would like to exactly do what the OP of this thread was trying to do, so I don't really see a point in opening a new thread.

Game X can be persuaded to run inside a VM by setting a bunch of vmx-parameters.
Game Y can NOT be persuaded to run inside a VM.

And you say you did exactly what OP did ? - no further questions.

Ulli

0 Kudos