VMware Communities
kljlkjlj_louoiy
Contributor
Contributor

how to start vmware image from cli - without using GUI in solaris

Hi All,

I am using solaris 10. I would like to get any idea from all of you. I would like to start vmare images from command line in solaris. How am I going to do that? Appreciate if you can help it. Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Which VMware product are you using?

0 Kudos
kljlkjlj_louoiy
Contributor
Contributor

Product: vmware workstation

Version: 5.5.5 build-56455

Thanks for your reply

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VMware Workstation forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You do realize that VMware products are supported on Windows and Linux hosts only, NOT Solaris, right?

IF you do somehow get Workstation running on a Solaris host, you can try using the vmrun command line utility to control the VMs, but I doubt that this will be successful.

0 Kudos
kljlkjlj_louoiy
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for confuse.My based OS is ubuntu. My vm image is solaris.

Now I am able to start up from cli using vmrun start /xxx/xx/xx.vmx

But the vm images run in a new vm workstation window. e.g I run two vm images from cli and it runs in seperate vm workstation windows instead of running in a tab in existing vm workstation. Is there any idea? I don't see any parameter to feed to vmrun for this.

Thanks for sharing

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

OK, now I'm really confused. You say you want to start the VM via the command line, not the GUI. Then you talk about how the VM is opened in a separate GUI window. If you want the VM to be seen in the same GUI window, why don't you just start it in the GUI in the first place?

0 Kudos
kljlkjlj_louoiy
Contributor
Contributor

if you start vm image with vmrun start /export/home/xx.vmx, it would call start vm image from cli. Am i right? instead of file --> open ---> select vm image

Even though you start from vmrun command line, image will start in GUI. Am I right? if not, how you go and work for this vm image?

I want to run the vm image from cli because I want it to be started automatically from the script.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos