VMware Communities
bbaniya
Contributor
Contributor

how to enable hyper v on windows server 2019 in vmwware workstation pro 17

hello team, 

as stated in the title i want to use a nested hyper v machine in my virtual windows server 2019. i cannot run it. 

screenshot 360 is the example of when I try to power on with the Intel VT-x or AMD-v option enabled. 

any help or any additional help is appreciated as well. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BarryGrowler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enabling Hyper-V on a virtualized instance of Windows Server 2019 within VMware Workstation Pro 17 is a valuable capability, and the process involves a few specific steps. To successfully set up this environment, you should follow these guidelines.

Begin by launching VMware Workstation Pro and creating a new virtual machine. Select the "Windows Server 2019" operating system from the options and proceed with the configuration settings, such as memory allocation, network adapter type, and hard disk space. When reaching the "Ready to Create Virtual Machine" page, choose "Customize Hardware."

In the "Virtual Machine Settings" window, navigate to the "Processor" tab. Under the "Hypervisor" section, make sure to select "Enable Nested Virtualization." This is a crucial step to enable Hyper-V functionality within the virtualized Windows Server 2019 environment. After configuring these settings, click "OK" to close the "Virtual Machine Settings" window, and finalize the virtual machine creation process.

Once your virtual machine is up and running, log in to Windows Server 2019. To enable Hyper-V, open Server Manager and proceed with the following steps: Click "Manage," then select "Add Roles and Features." In the "Add Roles and Features Wizard," choose the "Hyper-V" role and continue through the wizard. Upon completion, you will have Hyper-V installed and can begin creating and managing virtual machines within your Windows Server 2019 instance.

Please note that if you are using a VMware Workstation Pro 17 trial license, you may need to upgrade to a paid license to enable nested virtualization fully. For troubleshooting, ensure your host machine has virtualization technology (Intel VT-x or AMD-v) enabled in the BIOS. Verify that your host machine possesses sufficient memory and CPU resources to support both VMware Workstation Pro and the nested Hyper-V virtual machine. If you encounter issues, consider restarting both VMware Workstation Pro and the nested Hyper-V virtual machine or attempting to create a new nested Hyper-V virtual machine.

By following these detailed steps and considering the troubleshooting tips, you can effectively enable Hyper-V within VMware Workstation Pro for your virtual Windows Server 2019 environment.

0 Kudos