VMware Communities
jriker1
Contributor
Contributor

how to communicate two vmware sessions different network connection types

I have a VMWare session I am creating that I need people to get to from other system so it is running on a bridged network. I have an Active Directory VMWare that the application on the bridged network needs to get to, however this VMWare can never see the light of day on the company lan or there will be big trouble. I want to set this up as a host only network, however curious if/how the bridged VMWare session can see/use the AD VMWare instance that is set to host only? Do I need to add another network card to the bridged one and somehow link it to the host only instance?

Thanks.

JR

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

I have a VMWare session I am creating that I need people to get to from other system so it is running on a bridged network. I have an Active Directory VMWare that the application on the bridged network needs to get to, however this VMWare can never see the light of day on the company lan or there will be big trouble. I want to set this up as a host only network, however curious if/how the bridged VMWare session can see/use the AD VMWare instance that is set to host only? Do I need to add another network card to the bridged one and somehow link it to the host only instance?

Then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. That is my personal advice. If you are inexperienced VMware user it is easy to make mistake.

0 Kudos
jriker1
Contributor
Contributor

My mother always tought me if you didn't have something useful to say, don't bother saying it at all.

I guess it's my bad for opening my mouth in the first place. Anyway, the issue is we can't have extra AD servers hitting the network, not that we can't create them. I have no issues that I can lock the AD system from being seen by the network by making a host only system just want to know how to make the other bridged VMWare session talk to the host only session.

And not to be a jerk, however helpful responses only please.

Thanks.

JR

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

My mother always tought me if you didn't have something useful to say, don't bother saying it at all.

I guess it's my bad for opening my mouth in the first place. Anyway, the issue is we can't have extra AD servers hitting the network, not that we can't create them. I have no issues that I can lock the AD system from being seen by the network by making a host only system just want to know how to make the other bridged VMWare session talk to the host only session.

And not to be a jerk, however helpful responses only please.

I thought that was usefull, some people are not aware of consequences of their actions. For example they could loose their job if they do that.

As of technical aspect of it, there are multiple solutions:

1. Have hidden machine use "host-only" connected virtual NIC. Equip visible machine with second virtual NIC, (again in host-only mode) and put them on the same VMnet.

2. Have your host 2 physical NICs. Use second physical NIC to bridge hidden and visible machines. Unbind all network protocols on host OS from second physical NIC.

0 Kudos