VMware Communities
edroszcz
Contributor
Contributor

hidusb.sys is missing.

Hi!

I am creating a reference image that I will use to deploy our workstations and laptops. So far everything is working good except for one thing.

When I install Windows XP Professional (using source files) in VMWare Workstation the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hidusb.sys is missing. But when I install Windows XP Professional (using source files) on one of the latoptops the file is there.

I would really appreciate your help trying to figure out why this file don't get installed in my VMWare Workstation setup.

Best regards Erik

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

There is no HID device in your virtual machine, so it does not get installed.

0 Kudos
edroszcz
Contributor
Contributor

Ok. Do you know if it's possible to emulate an HID device in VMWare Workstation?

Would be great since most HP laptops use HP Quick Launch Buttons and it won't work if the following files are missing hidclass.sys, hidparse.sys and hidusb.sys.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01084943

So what I really look for is to get those files installed so I can get HP Quick Launch Buttons to work on the laptops.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Ok. Do you know if it's possible to emulate an HID device in VMWare Workstation?

Would be great since most HP laptops use HP Quick Launch Buttons and it won't work if the following files are missing hidclass.sys, hidparse.sys and hidusb.sys.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01084943

So what I really look for is to get those files installed so I can get HP Quick Launch Buttons to work on the laptops.

In virtual machines? Why? Virtual Machine hardware (emulated) is different from hosting hardware by VMware design.

But if you design deployment images, get familiar with sysprep to find out how to include drivers for multiple target systems (with varying hardware configs).

0 Kudos
edroszcz
Contributor
Contributor

Well, since the files are needed on the real hardware platforms it would be nice to have them installed in the virtual machine. Then they would already be included when I sysprep the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

That is NOT the proper approach to using sysprep for wide deployment.

0 Kudos
mbkowns
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think it was clearly stated above.  Since the HID device does not exist when the image is built from VMware it causes three files to be missing.  It is only an issue when you need to use a HID device.  HP Quick launch drivers are the first ones I noticed with this problem.

The following files may be missing from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers:

hidclass.sys

hidparse.sys

hidusb.sys

To fix the problem get the files from a local system and copy them manually on your VMware image to the path “C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers”.  When you take this image to real hardware it will work properly.

0 Kudos
mbkowns
Contributor
Contributor

Also found that  usbd.sys is missing which is required for USB 2.0 Root Hub.  Just copy that file from a known good system to your VMware image and it will work correctly.

usbd.sys was required for a Dell E6410 laptop

0 Kudos