VMware Communities
fizassist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hgfs bug in 10.0.3 (buffer overflow?)

I'm running VMware Workstation 10.0.3 on Fedora 20 (64 bit) with a Fedora 20 (64 bit) guest.  The guest has tools installed from VMwareTools-9.6.2-1688356.tar.gz, with a patch to vmhgfs (attached) to work with the 3.15 kernel. 

The problem is that when I try to run GNU autotools (particularly an autoconf-generated configure script) from an hgfs volume, I get garbage (null characters) in the output.  This can be reproduced by using the sample autotools project from http://www.niksula.hut.fi/~mkomu/docs/autohowto.html , un-taring it to an hgfs volume on the guest, running "./autogen.sh" and then "configure".  The output is:

./config.status: line 331: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

./config.status: line 331: `"'

This is because line 317 of the config.status that it creates has several hundred null characters in it.  It seems that these characters are inserted after the 8192nd byte of a "HERE doc" shell redirection in the configure script.  This happens when running configure on any autotools-based project on an hgfs volume.  I've tried to reproduce it with a simpler shell script but can't seem to do so repeatably. 

I was hoping to share this volume between Fedora and Windows VMs, but I guess I'll have to fall back to samba for now.  Has anybody else seen related issues?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Ben,

I am the developer for this feature, and am grateful for your help in reporting this issue.

Thanks also for the detailed report and the script to reproduce this issue.

I have a similar sounding bug that I about to investigate. I will use this script too to see if they are the same.

Steve

Thanks. Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Ben,

I am the developer for this feature, and am grateful for your help in reporting this issue.

Thanks also for the detailed report and the script to reproduce this issue.

I have a similar sounding bug that I about to investigate. I will use this script too to see if they are the same.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
fizassist
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Steve!

I am using a volume license from my employer, and that doesn't seem to give me access to VMWare Tech Support per se.  I was worried that I wouldn't even be able to report the issue to the appropriate people, but it seems my fears were unfounded.

Happy hunting,

Ben

0 Kudos
jonathanpallant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm getting this as well, trying to build opencore-amr in a VMware Shared Folder.

Is there an issue number I can track? It's causing me some serious issues at the moment.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have a fix being reviewed and undergoing testing right now.

I hope that it will make it in to the next round of releases.

Thanks for reporting and appreciate your patience.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
tenggui
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The bug seems to be not fixed for 10.0.4. I use ubuntu 14.04 installed on VMware Workstation 10.0.4 and the VMwareTools is the latest release(VMwareTools-9.6.2-1688356.tar.gz). My problem is that the generated file content by CMake may be gabage when I compile my project code in hgfs shared folder. Would you please give me a patch? My email is tenggui_fu@126.com. Thanks

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Looks like this fix is not in the WS 10 releases, I will create a bug to track putting these fixes into the set of releases.

It is however, in the WS 11 and Fusion 7.* releases.

Sorry about that.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos